Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
He probably knows food is always available now and there's no competition, that's why he is not gobbling up everything. I've read about sinus canker that can cause swelling.

Can you post a photo of his overnight droppings?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all pigeon lovers, i have made this post in this website few times but i continue to spread the awareness . In my city Vancouver Canada, in most of skytrain stations they set trap cages, they lure pigeons by putting seeds around cages, and once they are trapped they starve to death, or killed by placing them in containers, closing the lid and suffocating them. In this harsh weather when these birds are already in desperate need of food in cities, they are luring to kill them. Help me fight against this cruelty by signing my petition. Currently i have 2 petitions please sign and share
Petition 1 Sign the Petition

Petition 2https://chng.it/YgPMd4xL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Crust on pigeon eyes

this is a previous post which i think would be useful
That looks similar to my situation, albeit the crust isn't as thick in my case. I know that pox looks like bubbles but can anyone confirm that when they dry out they form crusts like that? This morning I can see a bit of skin under the crust and just a drop of pus was coming out.
Carnivore Pet supply Whiskers Flooring Dog breed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
He probably knows food is always available now and there's no competition, that's why he is not gobbling up everything. I've read about sinus canker that can cause swelling.

Can you post a photo of his overnight droppings?
His dropping are mostly dark green with a white cap and some yellow around it, sometimes less, sometimes more, not too watery. Sometimes they're more brown than green. I let him out of his cage at noon yesterday and that's when he had his last proper meal. I take it they become dark green when a pigeon hasn't eaten in a while? Should I be worried? I gave him another pill of spartrix this morning just in case.
Black Tints and shades Glove Mesh Human leg

Gadget Gas Nail Composite material Transparency

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hello all pigeon lovers, i have made this post in this website few times but i continue to spread the awareness . In my city Vancouver Canada, in most of skytrain stations they set trap cages, they lure pigeons by putting seeds around cages, and once they are trapped they starve to death, or killed by placing them in containers, closing the lid and suffocating them. In this harsh weather when these birds are already in desperate need of food in cities, they are luring to kill them. Help me fight against this cruelty by signing my petition. Currently i have 2 petitions please sign and share
Petition 1 Sign the Petition

Petition 2https://chng.it/YgPMd4xL
Signed, I love pigeons. Humans are actual pests on this planet.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Droppings not looking too bad. I've never used Spartrix (not available here), I always give metronidazole for canker. Are you doing the full antibiotic course? You can't just give a dose when you think he needs it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Droppings not looking too bad. I've never used Spartrix (not available here), I always give metronidazole for canker. Are you doing the full antibiotic course? You can't just give a dose when you think he needs it.
That's a relief! You're supposed to give just one pill of spartrix (Carnidazole) and that's the entire course but I looked through forum posts here and the consensus seem to be that one pill is rarely enough. It has a wide safety margin (32 times the dose) so thought eliminating canker fully was well worth the risk. He's spending today inside the cage and is eating a bit more. Still looks a bit fluffed up. I think he's judging me. He doesn't like my hands but doesn't mind my face. I've ordered enrofloxacin (baytril in a pill form) and doxycycline just in case. I'll get amoxycillin too when it's back in stock to cover all my bases as far as infections go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
He just shook off this yellow snot looking stuff. I found another one. What could it be? And some of his poop has dark yellow around it.
Sleeve Purple Grey Tints and shades Electric blue

Mesh Rectangle Line Plant Net

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Did that yellow came from his mouth? Can't you get metronidazole for canker? Petshops that sells aquarium and fish supplies sells Fishzole, it's the same as metronidazole.

Have you tried to remove the yellow crust from the eye?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did that yellow came from his mouth? Can't you get metronidazole for canker? Petshops that sells aquarium and fish supplies sells Fishzole, it's the same as metronidazole.

Have you tried to remove the yellow crust from the eye?
It did look like it came from his mouth. He was shaking his head and making sounds as if he had something wet in his throat. It had watery texture rather than cheesy one. I didn't see more mucus this morning so perhaps the drug caused that?

His nostrils and mouth looked clear this morning. I can see pink skin under the scab and on the neck. He scratches there and I applied the pox cream around the eye and on the neck as it's basically an antiseptic. I didn't try to remove the yellow crust as it's firmly attached still and by removing it I might cause bleeding. He's preening himself and is alert so behaviourally he seems ok.

Unfortunately metro in any form is a prescription drug in the UK. I will have to make do with spartrix for now. Supposedly it's as effective as other canker drugs. I haven't given him any more though as it's a single pill course and he's had two pills. Perhaps it takes time for canker to clear? I was learning about yeast infections last night and how quickly they can take over immunocompromised birds so I've adjusted his diet - I put nuts and flaxseed in his bowl and removed the seed mix that has grains. Apparently yeast feeds on carbs and it can be managed better by reducing carb intake. I've also put apple cider vinegar in his water (5ml/1 litre).

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I think that eye was injured somehow and is infected. You did say you saw some pus leaking out. The stuff he shaked from his mouth/nostrils could be pus leaking on the inside.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think that eye was injured somehow and is infected. You did say you saw some pus leaking out. The stuff he shaked from his mouth/nostrils could be pus leaking on the inside.
You could be right. He still has fresh pus under the scab. Canker of this magnitude would have made him sick me thinks. It looks like his entire eyeball might be gone. His poop was dark green this morning. Not sure if it's something to be too concerned about or not considering that he's been under stress and doesn't eat a lot (maybe two tablespoons worth of food a day). Behaviourally he's been doing ok. Actually he has been since I first saw him so I'm assuming the infection is only external? Should I leave the pus clear out on its own? I apply the antiseptic cream and spray colloidal silver on the area. I've also sprayed him with anti-lice/mite spray. He's scratching himself and has been dropping a lot of feather lice after I sprayed him.
Shipping box Bird Beak Table Flooring

21 - 40 of 50 Posts