Pigeon-Talk banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You've ordered amoxycillin? When you get this, do a 10 day treatment of 40 mg twice a day. Green droppings can be a sign of infection.
Any natural remedies that might help? Putting a garlic clove in water? I eat garlic when I catch something nasty and it sorts me out usually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You've ordered amoxycillin? When you get this, do a 10 day treatment of 40 mg twice a day. Green droppings can be a sign of infection.
Sorry to spam you but I'm reading on here that it's normal for poop to be dark green. Am I reading too much into this and that it may be in fact normal? Due to the artificial light, my camera may not pick up the most accurate hue. It varies between these two hues.
Plant Font Pattern Event Grass

Brown Pattern Font Circle Event

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Stick to baytril then. Remember probiotics during antibiotic treatment.
Here's hoping that the customs don't confiscate my medicine. I rushed into buying it from another country not even understanding where I stand legally. Vets won't prescribe anything without seeing him first. There are no avian vets nearby and moving him around would cause too much stress. I'm waiting for hypochlorous spray and probiotics to come today. Not sure if the eye is getting better, there's still some pus coming out but not as much. Maybe supportive care will be enough?

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Hopefully he will be ok. Boost his immunity with probiotics and apple cider vinegar in the drinking water twice a week. You can also wet his food and sprinkle on a bit of turmeric and cinnamon twice a week.

Have you asked around amongst your friends and family for any amoxycillin based meds? Someone might just have some.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hopefully he will be ok. Boost his immunity with probiotics and apple cider vinegar in the drinking water twice a week. You can also wet his food and sprinkle on a bit of turmeric and cinnamon twice a week.

Have you asked around amongst your friends and family for any amoxycillin based meds? Someone might just have some.
Thanks for the turmeric and cinnamon tip, I got him some. Unfortunately I'm unable to get amoxycillin at this time. I'll watch how his condition progresses. With the exception of his poop being green, he doesn't show any typical outward signs of being sick so I'm hoping that his body is managing to keep the bad bacteria at bay just fine. He's a bit more lively today after I gave him probiotics yesterday. The scab has hardened and it's just as well as he cannot reinfect the site easily when he scratches it. One question. He hasn't had a bird bath for two weeks. Essential that he gets washed? He's in my bedroom so him washing here wouldn't be ideal. Didn't know that pigeons can be so dusty. My air purifier is working overtime lol.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Don't force him to bath. If you have a nice sunny spot, put down a large flat dish of water. You can splash the water with your fingers to get him interested. Try this every day until he decides it's time for a bath. Make sure he has a nice warm spot to get dry. In front of a window will be perfect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Don't force him to bath. If you have a nice sunny spot, put down a large flat dish of water. You can splash the water with your fingers to get him interested. Try this every day until he decides it's time for a bath. Make sure he has a nice warm spot to get dry. In front of a window will be perfect.
True, it must be done on their own terms. He's afraid of my hands. Might leave a dish in his cage, see if he figures it out on his own. He likes my face. When I talk to him he closes his eyes and it's so sweet.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Most pigeons are afraid of hands, they don't view hands as part of you. You can try the following: keep your head at his eye level and then slowly nod your head. Pigeons do this to each other as a sign of friendliness. I have a female that nods back to me and it's so cute when she does this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Most pigeons are afraid of hands, they don't view hands as part of you. You can try the following: keep your head at his eye level and then slowly nod your head. Pigeons do this to each other as a sign of friendliness. I have a female that nods back to me and it's so cute when she does this.
Oh I nod too when I talk to him. And blink, slowly. He relaxes immediately and closes his eye - a sign of trust. When I whistle softly, it perplexes him. Funny to watch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Update. He was still throwing up bloody mucus so I put him on doxycycline to help clear it. Not sure of the duration. The packaging says 3-5 days but doesn't say what disease it's supposed to treat. Not exactly a minor wound, so I'll have him on it for 7 days. The good news is that the drug seems to be working and I see less mucus than before. The eye is no longer festering as much too. Should ACV be given when using doxy? I read that low ph boosts its efficacy but some say that it should only be given after a completed course. I let him spend some time outside the cage...and like in that saying he took the whole hand and is now protesting when I put him back in lol. So he roams freely during the day and only goes in the cage to sleep. He really perks up when he's outside. Exploring and pecking at things. He's become docile and almost pet-like too. Not afraid of me at all and yesterday he decided to sit on my head.
Computer Bird Personal computer Laptop Output device

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Rather stop giving the acv in the water while on antibiotics. Remove all the grit as well. You can start with the acv again after treatment. Glad to hear he is settling in well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Rather stop giving the acv in the water while on antibiotics. Remove all the grit as well. You can start with the acv again after treatment. Glad to hear he is settling in well.
Ok, I don't have any grit to give him. I hope he will be ready to be released in a week or two so don't think it something that I will need. Concerning his poop, when he's hydrated he excretes urine alone that looks as clear as water almost. This only happens when he's had something to drink but hasn't eaten much. His poop returns to normal after he's snacked on some seeds, solid with a white cap. Thought pigeons reabsorbed most of their urine? The thing is he eats little, just snacks here and there so there's no solid matter to absorb the urine so just the liquid stuff comes out. Does that sound normal?

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
No, that is not normal. Unless the weather is extremely hot and they drink a lot of water. You are in winter now. Is there a way you can measure how much he drinks everyday?

Do you really want to release him again? I thought you were going to keep him.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
No, that is not normal. Unless the weather is extremely hot and they drink a lot of water. You are in winter now. Is there a way you can measure how much he drinks everyday?

Do you really want to release him again? I thought you were going to keep him.
My room temperature is about 20 degrees centigrade so it must be something else. I did a bit of research and he seems to have polyuria as his poops are solid. He dips his beak in the water bowl maybe 3-4 times a day, not sure how much he sucks up each time. And soon after he urinates like that every 10 minutes until his droppings return to normal. This is what I found on here:

"Polyuria (excessive watery urine) can be a symptom of kidney damage/disease, diabetes, an infection involving the kidneys, endotoxins from bacteria after treating with antibiotics, or flushing out medicines. A blood test should be able to tell."

Although not fully certain, he started producing more liquid urine after I put him on doxycycline. I'd so prefer if he was just excreting the by-products of it and bacteria, rather than deal with kidney damage :( His mucus is clearing and he was so full of energy today, would be a shame if he had something serious like that.

I think I'll mix some sugar and salt in his water tomorrow to replenish lost electrolytes.

Nooo, although love him dearly, he belongs outside with his pigeon mates. I can't make this choice for him to deny him a life that a pigeon is supposed to live. I just want to reintegrate him into my main flock that is further away from the streets. My pigeons there are much cleaner and have plenty of green space. Not sure if he'll stay, they're known for their ability to return to where they were born.
Computer Personal computer Laptop Netbook Touchpad

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Keep us updated plse. Try to get probiotics and give during antibiotic treatnent.
Sprinkled some on his food this morning. Will give a proper dosage once he's finished his course! Think I'll give him doxy in the morning and probiotics in the evening from now on, otherwise it's just being wasted killing the bacteria in probiotics. New day, he begs out of the cage again to exercise his wings. It's so much work following him around with poop guards lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I weighed him today and he's 280 grams. The tablet is for pigeons weighing 400 and over so I'll have to give him about 2/3. Could have been overdosing. Does he look like a young pigeon? His plumage has almost no purple and green. I remember my teenagers were grey and black and then in one month they sort of grew up and iridescent feathers appeared. He enjoyed some broccoli today. He's such a handful when out of the cage. Flies from place to place. And naturally poops everywhere too. He falls behind stuff and then waits for me to pick him up. Or flies to my desk and watches what I'm doing. Think he's accepted me :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Any ideas as to why is he flying around constantly as if he's looking for something? He tries to get on the ledge near the ceiling but it's too shallow but his got other locations that are quite high. He stays in one spot for a bit and then flies to the next one.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
He is definitely an adult. Make sure his favourite seeds are always available. Hemp, safflower and shelled sunflower seeds are good for weight gain. He is not used to being confined, that's probably why he is flying around so much.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts