Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up today a pigeon with PMV (twisting neck and body) and as I have already another pigeon with pox and a fieldfare with perpetual candidiasis, I try to keep them separated. Ideally, I would let the birds roam freely through home but as is danger to contaminate each other an further on, to contaminate the birds that I feed at my windows, I keep the two with viral infections isolated in cardboard boxes.

Do you have a better ideea how could I leave the birds more space, while not put them in danger of contamination?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Great work saving that PMV victim. PMV is a highly contagious disease. Birds suffering through it should be all the way isolated from others for 4-6 weeks as PMV runs its course for this period. PMV victims shed viruses ahich can be picked by other pigeons by every possible means by direct and indirect contact. Do you let ur PMV victim contact ur other rescue???
The place where its isolated should be far from other pigeons. Cleaniness and disinfection are very important as infected pigeon keep reinfecting itself from viruses shed in its immediate environment.
I have had no success or luck ever trying to save a PMV victim :eek:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great work saving that PMV victim. PMV is a highly contagious disease. Birds suffering through it should be all the way isolated from others for 4-6 weeks as PMV runs its course for this period. PMV victims shed viruses ahich can be picked by other pigeons by every possible means by direct and indirect contact. Do you let ur PMV victim contact ur other rescue???
The place where its isolated should be far from other pigeons. Cleaniness and disinfection are very important as infected pigeon keep reinfecting itself from viruses shed in its immediate environment.
I have had no success or luck ever trying to save a PMV victim :eek:
I know is contagious and isolated her, I asked something else.

Anyway, since then, she escaped but went to the place where I caught her. Maybe tomorrow or next days I will catch her again, as she can't eat on her own.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I tried to answer ur question indirectly. Viral diseases spread through air,dust also. Better not to give them space for 6 weeks. Even if u keep separate drinkers and feeders still there are chance of contracting PMV if u let them come in immediate environment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.