Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again...I am happy to report the sick feral pigeon I received at the brink of death ( or so i thought) has made what appears to be a huge recovery. the symptoms appeared to be either PMV , or paratyphoid....I am 90 percent sure its PMV.
I have had him for about 3 weeks ....his ( i think its a he) all symptoms appear gone and he can fly ....I have another two crippled ferals...I have introduced them from a distance.

ever since he can fly again and see other birds, hes really been wild again (humans are scary)... I am planning a spring release at the alley where he was found. the rescuers will be an audience!!!:p

:rolleyes:sorry what I mean to say, is he ok to let mingle with my other pigeons. I dont know how long he was infected before he was rescued in an alley ( at -20!!) . IS IT safe to assume hes not infectious?? or should I wait a few more weeks :( ...its tough watching him pine for pidge company... or am i risking my others??

jenn

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have read it probably 10 times!! its hard to say when this pidge was actually infected...my question was whether being free of symptoms meant they no longer shed virus....

I feel cruel letting this pidge see others and then locking him up...3 more weeks if I stick to the standard....its tough but i guess the answer is even if hes healthy keep up the isolation?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Most would say that you need to keep him isolated for 6 weeks from the time you received him.
A PMV bird cannot be released to the wild because the symptoms can re-appear at any time often triggered by stress which to a Feral Pigeons could include...hunger, variations in the weather, predators, and illness to name some triggers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts