Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AFTER READING PLEASE POST ALL YOUR DIFFERENT INPUT AND OPINIONS IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Thanks to the input of several experienced Pigeon Talk individuals over the past few months, I finally have an established loft with pretty well trained birds. I only have 10 birds (7 homers and 3 German owls ) They all trap nicely, the homers leave hawks in the dust, ouytflying them ALL the time . The G-owls pretty much stay on the roof of the loft lol. One issue im having is a mild case of lice. Interestingly enough I can only every find it on two of the same birds. I have treated with Scalex three times and really applied it well to each bird indivudally, underneath wings etc. I have also cleaned and sprayed the loft. Its small so its easy to clean and I keep it very very clean. Im a bit of a clean freak. The loft is a hutch style/hardware cloth about 6'long by 4'wide by 4'high . Any suggestions are appreciated.
Also 75% of the perches are actually 7"by7" squares of 2'by4' for maximum comfort and then maybe 4 or 5 other perches are slightly smaller. There are no nesting boxes at all. All my birds were squeakers or abandoned babies i raised on formula when i got them. Two of the homers recently laid an egg on the loft floor. They took care of it like champs for about 7 days. Then one day I came home from work and the egg appeared to have been eaten. Not sure exactly why this happened...
thirdly, I also free feed my birds. They always usually leave a small amount of grain in the feeder and I kind of like it that way. I have these birds as pets I dont want any going hungry. Theyre very athletic and certainly dont seem overweight. Are there any cons to free feeding?
fourthly lol Is it important to handle the birds once weekly or montly to check them for parasites, illness, injury? or is it best to just let them be? I was curious as to what the consensus will be for this. Until now I have tried to stress them as little as humanly possible and they appear very calm and well adjusted.
Lastly are there any other foods besides the traditional grain that is beneficial to pigeons. Im not talking about ACV, i mean are there any greens, vegetables or vitamins anyone feels strongly about.
DONT BE SHY TO POST YOUR EXPERIENCE OR WHAT YOU FEEL WILL WORK FOR ME! I APPRECIATE ALL THE COMMENTS!

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
They love kale and silver beet, Also spinach, lettuce, cabbage etc are good for them.

Free feeding is fine along as the birds are still flying they will remain fit. Just make sure the loft is rodent proof or it can cause the birds to become sick.

I love using calcium based grits for my birds too.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, they do love Kale, and chopped carrots. Vita King sells a mineral grit bucket that they go nuts for. They also like the mineral blocks they sell.
It' a good idea to handle them, so they become used to it. That way you can more easily handle them when you need to. Lots easier to medicate them or hand feed if you ever need to when they are used to you holding them. It also gives you a chance to see if they feel good or if they seem light. The more time you spend with them, the more used to you they will be. It's a bit harder with a hutch type loft then it is with one that you can walk into and shut the door behind you. You could always add an aviary that you could walk into. Chopped unsalted peanuts is a good treat. Most pigeons love them once they try them so that they know how good they are. They will come to you for them. For mites or lice, Permethrin powder or Sevin 5% garden dust works great. Just keep it out of their face. And bathing. They love to bathe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts