Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi every one

this is my poor , darling king pigeon. yesterday morning I saw him fluffed up in the loft and not intrested in eating or drinking. so I isolated him from the rest of the 20 odd healthy pairs, all breeding and quite happy. now this guy has a strange growth on its beak. what is this? he had very loose, dark green droppings and I fed him a solution of ORS (oral electrolyte powder) about 5 ml along with putting small corn seeds in his mouth 10 seeds at a time. this I,d repeat about 3 hours. He has been dizzy and staggering. later in the evening , I added doxymicine and trisym, a couple of vet medications that I had used earlier on my birds for treating bacterial enteritis.
at one point , before giving the medicine his poop was just yellowish water,,,otherwise it would be dark green with a spread of water on the outside. the images you see are taken this morning and I,d say the poop has improved just a little bit as it has now solidified a very little bit. I continue feeding him the rehydration solution mixed with slight pinches of the medicine and then about 10 to 15 grains of corn or sun flower seed.

I really need help and expert opinion.Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
each 100 gm of doxymicine contains doxycycline HCI B.P 10 gms and and trisym contains trimethoprim 8% w/v and sulphadiazine 40% w/v.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
thanks Libis,,,is it the beak that you think is the tumor? unfortunately I have no vet in my area.
Yeah, that growth on the beak looks tumor-y to me. :( Keep up the antibiotics, I don't know what else to tell you. Can you get a wildlife rehabber or something to help you? Some of them are able to do vet stuff.

I hope someone else here pipes up who has dealt with this before. 0.0

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that growth on the beak looks tumor-y to me. :( Keep up the antibiotics, I don't know what else to tell you. Can you get a wildlife rehabber or something to help you? Some of them are able to do vet stuff.

I hope someone else here pipes up who has dealt with this before. 0.0
thanks once again,,,and do u think his current condition, the near death weakness, the droppings and all are a consequence of the beak tumor....
I think I may be able to save this poor guy, if I get him back into eating and drinking by his own,,,but as u suspect, that might not be possible with the tumor sitting on his beak...
ah,,this poor baby

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
thanks once again,,,and do u think his current condition, the near death weakness, the droppings and all are a consequence of the beak tumor....
I think I may be able to save this poor guy, if I get him back into eating and drinking by his own,,,but as u suspect, that might not be possible with the tumor sitting on his beak...
ah,,this poor baby
My best guess is that the tumor caused weak heath and then he got a bacterial infection as a result of weakness further weakening him. :(

Keep him comfortable and keep on going. Keep on looking for someone local who can help too. If he won't eat anything, along with giving him the electrolyte solution that you've been using, maybe you could give him some defrosted frozen peas by hand? (Do not defrost in the microwave--it causes pockets of burning hot.)

Unfortunately, without having checked the poops in a lab, we can't know if we're using the correct antibiotic for the presumed bacterial infection.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My best guess is that the tumor caused weak heath and then he got a bacterial infection as a result of weakness further weakening him. :(

Keep him comfortable and keep on going. Keep on looking for someone local who can help too. If he won't eat anything, along with giving him the electrolyte solution that you've been using, maybe you could give him some defrosted frozen peas by hand? (Do not defrost in the microwave--it causes pockets of burning hot.)

Unfortunately, without having checked the poops in a lab, we can't know if we're using the correct antibiotic for the presumed bacterial infection.
hmmm, so I,d keep up the anti biotics..I am hopefulthat these being potent ,broad spectrum antibiotics, the pigeon would benefit. I have got the peas. how often do u think should I feed him? I just gave him his breakfast of 12 corn grains, 5 saffron seeds and 5 mung beans followed by 5 ml of the prepared solution.I plan to do this every 3 hours .is that a proper feeding programme for a sick pigeon of this condition?

·
Registered
762 Posts
zomg! poor baby! I wish I could give some advice, but the best I can do is hope for the best...get well soon beautiful!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
hmmm, so I,d keep up the anti biotics..I am hopefulthat these being potent ,broad spectrum antibiotics, the pigeon would benefit. I have got the peas. how often do u think should I feed him? I just gave him his breakfast of 12 corn grains, 5 saffron seeds and 5 mung beans followed by 5 ml of the prepared solution.I plan to do this every 3 hours .is that a proper feeding programme for a sick pigeon of this condition?
As I keep ringneck doves and smaller in the house, I will have to look up this information for you.

I did find this on force feeding (which may be useful as a reference if things get too much worse.) http://www.pigeoncote.com/vet/feedbaby/feedbaby.html

Depending what formula you used
The feeding can be from 70-100 kCal per day depending on the health status of the bird. You would want to feed a total of 100 kCal to a sick non-eating pigeon.
Regular feeding formulas will contain 1.0-2.0 kCal per ml. Calorically dense formulas contain close to 2.0 kCal per ml.
I'm not sure how much seed this translates into.

Yeah, it sounds like your instincts are going right with the antibiotics.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'm going to lean towards letting him eat solids like you have been and you can feel his crop to see when it's empty and he needs more just like you would with a baby bird.

If he starts going way downhill and handfeeding isn't working, switch him to Kaytee Exact or similar to make sure he gets enough food.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
OK, I think I found something more helpful:
To work out how much food a pigeon needs, weigh the pigeon and the peas...feed the pigeon 1/20 (5%) of its weight in peas twice a day. For example, if a pigeon weighs 300 grams it would need 15 grams of peas and corn twice a day. If the pigeon is thin, or if it loses weight add a few more pieces at each feed.
http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/illnessesandinjuries.htm

1 - 20 of 143 Posts