Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 40 years I'm getting back into the birds thanks to a friend and you guys. I have the lumber in the garage and the siding and roofing will come in the next three weeks. I have the feeders, grit boxes, traps, group of six nest boxes and a quarantine box built now and a good starting on the "V" perches. I figured as long as there is snow on the ground I would get as much done in the garage as I can. I should be able to build walls, rafters, floor and fly pen in the garage and take them out to the site one at a time with a little help and put it up. It should end up to be 8' X 12' with a 4' X 8' for breeders a
4'6"X 8 for fliers and a 3' X 8' for supplies quarantine box and computer. I designed it, made a 3D model and made prints for it all and so far it's been working out great. Again a big thank you to you all on getting me going on this.:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
One more thing. I'm going to paint everything an off white before putting it all together. That I can do in the garage as I make it. I've been looking at as many lofts as I can and I see most are not painted. Is there a reason for that? I wouldn't want to do something that would affect the birds because I didn't know about it. Back in my days I did it to my loft and didn't seem to be a problem but I was young then and might not have known any better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reiki3- I'm intrigued....by your name. Are you a 3rd degree???? I'm a Master and teach (mostly nurses) in northern California. Actually did a little Reiki on the pigeon I rescued to help him come out of shock.....you can read the posts about Mr. Pidgie if you look me up. Anyway - good luck with loft building!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes my wife and I are both Reiki Masters. Fran has for about three years and me for about two years now. A core group of us have started http://reikienergyinternational.com just about a year ago. I use it on everything I can get my hands on. Update on loft, perches and Avery doors are ready for assemble.

·
Registered
26 Posts
love to hear you do Reiki all the time.....that was what Mrs. Takata would always say: Just do Reiki, do Reiki, do Reiki! After over a decade of practice, I can tell you it becomes so ingrained, you are doing it all the time. I always set my intention at the start of the day and from then on it's just flowing. Of course, sometimes I'm even actively conscious I'm doing it:)

Thank you for all you do!
Ali

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
One more thing. I'm going to paint everything an off white before putting it all together. That I can do in the garage as I make it. I've been looking at as many lofts as I can and I see most are not painted. Is there a reason for that? I wouldn't want to do something that would affect the birds because I didn't know about it. Back in my days I did it to my loft and didn't seem to be a problem but I was young then and might not have known any better.
The best color I have found is an off white to tan grey color. If you look at my page and look at the pictures of my breeding loft you will see the color I use for the inside. The loft looks freshly painted when I scrape it. All the other off white I have used is not quite as good. I call it poop grey. I usually just find an exterior latex off white in the lowes mistake bin. Seems to be a popular color for mistakes. I found a 5 gallon bucket for $15 once. Most of the time it is $10 a gallon.

Randy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best color I have found is an off white to tan grey color. If you look at my page and look at the pictures of my breeding loft you will see the color I use for the inside. The loft looks freshly painted when I scrape it. All the other off white I have used is not quite as good. I call it poop grey. I usually just find an exterior latex off white in the lowes mistake bin. Seems to be a popular color for mistakes. I found a 5 gallon bucket for $15 once. Most of the time it is $10 a gallon.

Randy

Thank Randy for the info. I never thought about exterior paint. I had gotten interior off white because it's inside, but exterior would hold up better with the scraping and taking a hose to it. I looked at the pictures and see what your talking about, nice loft.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
so glad you are back into pigeons and I just know your loft will be just beautiful. I do have a problem with one aspect of it---I don't think regular paint is good for the birds and might poison them but they do sell paint for pigeons lofts and I would certainly check out this---just a suggestion---sorry---c.hert

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C.hert

Never seen or heard of pigeon paint before. That's not one of those sky hook things were you send the new guy out to get a sky hook is it? And if it's not, were did you get your's from?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
No not a sky hook ..lol...Foys have some kind of a paint in their book and it is some kind of a white wash that safe for pigeons..There number is 1-877-355-7727 and it's free and they will send you a book.....Your loft is going to be really pretty I can tell.... and I over the years had a few sky hooks played on me and I laugh about how stupid I was but part of a learning experience too.
Good luck with your loft and birds....c.hert

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks C.Hert for the info. I'm all over it. I've requested there catalog and will check it out. Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
It's on page 54 of the 2009-2010 catalogue and I called and they are sold out of the paint but will have more in a month or less. It is a 100% natural ingredients and contains no oil and no harmful substances as well as 19 natural ingredients against pests...It's # 5024 or 5025 .You can buy one gallon of it for 12.95 or two at 23.95....You are going to have winning racers and you just need to get this----interior only......c.hert

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update on the loft. The roof has been ordered. The metal roof comes in three foot wide and you tell them how long it is to be. The loft is 8' X 12' so I'm putting one colored then two clear and then another colored one. I got the floor painted and the end walls made and painted. (c.hert. I have to have this done by the end of Feb. so I don't have time to wait for the paint. Two guys I work with have some good racers there going to give me so I'm pressed for time). With this only having two sections, I'm thinking of taking four feet of my other shed (14' X 16') and have that be my breeder loft. That would leave me a 14' X 12' for storage.the shed and to loft will be 20 yeards apart. Here is some more pic's.

View attachment 14764

View attachment 14765

View attachment 14766

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
what a beautiful yard you have Man your moving out--some serious business ahead..Awhile back I wrote and asked a question about floor bottoms-maybe you could answer-I have 2x4" in squares with hard cloth wire and handles so that I can pick them up and clean out the bottoms but they get heavy sometimes (my birds are on hard cloth wire) and a hardwood floor inside as well with portions of hard cloth..but I have seen a sliding metal tray that people can slide out to clean under these wires and I wonder if they are sliding on slick wood or some type of roller or something like kitchen drawers slide on when we pull them out----where would I buy something like this for my old age for these "pull ups"" are heavy to clean: "now a days"...c.herts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Also--Won"t your metal fly loft get really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter--are you going to insulate it??? Is it metal???---I realize it is for racers and this is different from show birds as well as another question---these metal pull-outs I just spoke about--are they real drafty???? Disappointed that you painted your breeding lofts in regular paint---but it looks pretty--thats because you could not wait--too impatient you are and you just could resist because racers told you if was okay and they never had any of their birds have problem and of course they fly outside free--your still going by the old book which is good but you need to update sometimes as well..Have you ever saw Wendell Levi's Books (The Pigeon) what a man he was---a real bird man...c.herts
Do those pull outs (sliders) get drafty in the winter and how do you cure that???

1 - 20 of 86 Posts