Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's one of those days again when one of your pigeons does not return home for a few days and the worry begins to build up.

I'm not posting this thread for tips or information, mind you. Just thought I'd share my little issue with some of my fellow pigeon-eers to try and maybe ease the stress.

Today's the 4th day and I still haven't seen any signs of him. I've posted ads, checked the neighbourhood and even called all the local vet clinics, but nothing...

Predators are very rare in my area, so the thought of him being caught is last on the list. He disappeared on Sunday morning and I'm not sure what to do at this point.

hm. :(:confused:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That's sad and after having him so long I'm not surprised you're upset. Fingers crossed he comes back after a few nights on the town with the ladies.
Let's know either way please.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm really sorry you lost the bird, and hope he returns. Unfortunately, this is the chance you take when you let them fly free. Many of them don't have much homing ability, and can get lost on the next block. If a hawk or something spooks it, and it flies far, it can't find it's way home. Hope that isn't the case and he is able to get back home.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the lovely comments, guys. I appreciate the support.

I will continue to update this thread if anything happens.

@Jay3, I've probably lost this bird about 2-3 times in the 11 years that I've had him. He has always managed to find his way back him several days later.

But this time feels strange. It's been 5 days and I don't know where he could be.

I hope he comes back home safely.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How long is he normally gone when he does this? Does he have a mate?
Could someone maybe have found him and taken him in?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Jay3,

Yes he does. His mate has been calling him ever since he disappeared actually. and He has never taken longer than 3 days to come back home previously.

I'm thinking of cruising the neighbourhood again and see if I could find him, or maybe speaking to some of the pigeon owners in the area. It's possible he might've joined their flock since there are so many pigeons in this town.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hey Jay3,

Yes he does. His mate has been calling him ever since he disappeared actually. and He has never taken longer than 3 days to come back home previously.

I'm thinking of cruising the neighbourhood again and see if I could find him, or maybe speaking to some of the pigeon owners in the area. It's possible he might've joined their flock since there are so many pigeons in this town.

This is what I would do. If he did get lost, if he could, he will find other pigeons and be drawn to them. I have a feral flock that I feed in the yard, and if there is a sick or injured pigeon, and they cannot keep up with the flock, they always go to the loft and roost there on the top of the aviary for the night, or the roof just above it. Does make it a lot easier to catch them. :)

Do you have a public access channel on t.v.? I would also post it there. Maybe someone would see it who either has your bird, or knows of someone who has just recently found him. It can't hurt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE.

My bird has finally returned home safely after disappearing for approximately 23 days.

I've noticed that he has lost some weight during his disappearance, so I doubt he was caught by anyone or ever joined a flock. He also has a scratch mark on his lower beak and a few missing feathers from the right wing which I think would be caused by a predator, AND has spiderweb and dirt on his toes.

But overall I see nothing majorly wrong with him. He's eating and drinking well, seems alert and active and remembers his entrance route into the cage.

I'm planning on taking to him a local vet soon to make sure he's 100% fine.

Thank God he's back. I've been worried sick ever since he took off unexpectedly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your lovely comments.

We're indeed very happy he's back home safe. We consider him as family member now because he's been with us for more than 11 years.

Wow...I'm surprised he's back. Got a pic of him? I think I'd lock that one up for good. He's had enough fun :D
I haven't taken any new photos of him yet, but he's the one in my profile picture in case you're wondering what he looks like. :D

I've actually been thinking on keeping him locked up for a while to help him recover and put on the weight again. He's really skinny at the moment. He's an old bird and needs the rest. Hehe!

Glad he's back. Surprised after such a long time. How did his mate react?
My family and I were all shocked when he returned home after such a long time too. I was definitely certain he was taken by a Hawk because this was really unusual of him to take so long to show up. Pigeons truly are amazing.

His mate did react a little hostile towards him and tried to push him out of their little area on the first day. But today they seem to be back to normal. Preening each other and doing the usual pigeon business. :p

Oh that's just the best news. What a little traveller he is and I bet he'd have a tale to tell if he could. So happy for you.
Absolutely! Thank you so much!

I wish I knew what had happened to him during that time, but that's all past now. Glad he's back.

Very glad to hear the bird is back!
Cheers! We're all excited the old fella is back. Not everyone would expect an 11 year old pigeon would be strong enough to survive on its own for 23 days.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe he wasn't on his own. Maybe someone had him, and he got out and came home. That does happen. Don't you wish they could talk and tell you all about it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Maybe he wasn't on his own. Maybe someone had him, and he got out and came home. That does happen. Don't you wish they could talk and tell you all about it?
If only they could talk. That'd be amazing. :cool:

Those 3 weeks were pretty stressful indeed.

I contacted several clinics, posted some ads and spoke to countless people in my neighbourhood in hopes of finding him -- With a reward of $1000. No joke. But most of the people that had contacted me were willing to help me find him for free which was really sweet of them.

The stress began to build up when most of the pigeon owners in the neighbourhood had told me that hawk attacks were becoming a prevalent issue in the area. About 80% of them had reported their birds disappearing around the same time, some caught by hawks, and some just simply vanished, and so we had assumed he had fallen prey to a hawk too, since he's never taken so long to return.

BUT what brought my stress and anger to a boiling point was when some dude decided it'd be hilarious to send me trolling messages. Saying stuff like "I saw your bird get ripped apart by a hawk, I'm sorry but he's dead now lol. You should probably go catch some feral pigeons to replace him". Then changes his story to "He fell in my backyard and was injured so I threw him away" Then changed it again to "I buried him" AND FINALLY to " he flew away and died somewhere". I thought he was genuine because he would stick to the same story for a few days before changing it. :mad:

Just glad this is all over. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts