Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I'm extremely new to bird keeping and seem to have been adopted by what I think is a pigeon.(it has a tag on its ankle) It appeared on my bedroom window sill over a week ago and hasn't left.
I originally borrowed a budgie cage from a friend in order to bring the bird in for safety. It came in quite happily and seemed settled. I fed and watered it for a couple of days thinking it was just having a rest. Having read some forums I believe they could be resting. I let it go after a couple days and it flew away. When I got home that evening it was sat again on my window sill. I brought it in again and googled the code on its tag. I have left messages with the club it is from and nobody has come back to me. So it seems I now have a pet pigeon/dove who is called Montie and lives in a budgie cage over night. He flies off each morning and comes back and sits on my window sill until I bring him in again!! He is very sweet and seems to be warming to becoming handled. If you can see my profile picture, I would be grateful if anybody can identify his breed. My question is- how do I keep a pet pigeon? Mainly, what should I feed him and how? I've been holding off getting him a bigger cage incase he doesn't stay but it's looking like I'm his now :) Thank you in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
958 Posts
That's nice of you to take care of it. The bird might just be a little weak or disorientated and is flying off everyday to get its marbles together and fly back home. I had a bird that got lost and made and elderly balcony it's home she contacted me and I offer her to pick the bird up, she said she would like to keep it. The bird came back to me 2 weeks later. I called her and told her the bird was back home. She said she'll miss the bird but happy it found home.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Which club was it registered to?

Most pigeons are happy to roost in small spaces, our nesting/roosting boxes in the aviary are 12x12 and I think even that is more spacious than the holes in dovecotes. But if kept in a cage for longer than overnight they should as a minimum have enough room to flap their wings in all directions without hitting the sides of the cage but preferably enough room to allow them to wander around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.