Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week and a half ago a pigeon flew into the yard and my husband saw how friendly it was. He noticed it had 2 tags on its legs but we couldn't get close enough to see the numbers. He named it Clarence and assume it's male. Clarence stays on the peek of the roof during the day and sleeps in the garage at night. Last thursday we were able to catch him and get his tag number. I then was able to contact someone who knows the owner. With in the hour a man call saying that it was his bird and in so many ways asked if we wanted him. He is a racer and got lost. I explained that we're not bird people and he said he'd pick him up on weekend. We have not heard from him since. We've decided to keep Clarence. I've noticed him and a moarning dove eating together. Could they pair up? Also, what should I do about a loft? He sits in the same spot in the garage every night but does he need a more secure place?

Any info will be helpful. Winter is on its way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
there are many others who can give you advice here...just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have a pigeon that when I contacted the owner he said he would call me when he could come get him/her. Yeah...I still have the bird after 3 weeks....ours in named Henry (or Henri if it is a girl) I am in NJ so I doubt it is the same owner

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can keep him in a good sized cage, like a dog crate, as long as he has a couple of hours of fly time daily. But healthy pigeons are usually happier with others, as they are flock birds. Lonely all by himself. Letting him fly outside isn't a good idea as it just isn't safe for him to be out alone. He well eventually get caught by a hawk or some other predator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Clarence didn't come in tonight. We are all so worried about him. I do have a good sized dog crate i could use until we get something better made. I prey I'll see him in the morning. Didn't realize how much I enjoyed him untill now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just hope he's ok. tomorrow, if we don't see him, my daughter and I will go down to the wharf and feed the pigeons Clanence's food. We might just be bird people after all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about that too. Silly me didn't take down his name and number though. I am going to get in touch with the first pigeon guy I talked with. He knows who the owner is. Also I want to see if maybe someone would be willing to show me their birds. Id like to see what this racing thing is all about. I was so amazed to see Clarence fly. It was AWESOME. I hope my ignorance didn't get him hurt or kiled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts