Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have tried something new this week.

I have a few young birds that has never being tossed. They were only flying around the loft. I have basked them with my racing team for there first toss. The release point is in line with my flight line.

My wife releases by birds every morning at her work place. That is about 15 Km and over estuaries and the harbour. They (young ones) have manage the toss everyday this week.

I was just wondering if that is not the way to do things to minimize early losses with the young birds.:confused:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I tried something similar only 3/4 weeks ago sending 6 ybs never tossed before with 7 old birds to show them the way home.My young birds did not return, but i had 2 reported 1 i collected the other 1 was dead.I suspected a hawk attack but was to much of a coincedence they were all young birds.Maybe they just couldnt keep up.I wish you more luck with yours.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well they have to get in shape to do the distance...it is like telling you to run a marathon without getting in shape for it...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quite right but it was only a 2 mile toss.You would expect them to do that.It wasnt like i sent them 20 miles.Dont know what could have happened.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Quite right but it was only a 2 mile toss.You would expect them to do that.It wasnt like i sent them 20 miles.Dont know what could have happened.
depends on how old they were and how long they have been loft flying.. a 9 year old human can not do the same athetics as a 14 year old...right... so they need to mature and build muscle and start routing to get back and not be confused by a BOP, or even a power line... and that even happens with adult pigeons...so you may be asking too much of them...

·
Registered
816 Posts
They were 5 months old and loft flying for 4 weeks and had routed and didnt have the same problem with my other 20ybs who were tossed from same distance.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
They were 5 months old and loft flying for 4 weeks and had routed and didnt have the same problem with my other 20ybs who were tossed from same distance.

These birds are crazy you never know what happens in their head. I had my birds out to 10 miles 3 to 4 times. I was actually thinking I should jump them out to 15 miles. But then I figured I'd better be safe then sorry and take them there one more time. And I lost half of my team on that toss. I think they hit another stronger flock that pulled them too far away and they just didn't have what they needed to make it back.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well good to know.. now.. why did you not say that to begin with..lol. do not see anything new with road training 5 month old birds that have been routing..

·
Registered
816 Posts
It would be great to know what does go wrong on seemingly easy tosses but the truth is there can be a list of things as long as your arm that can go wrong from clashing to bop attacks etc, etc.Its so frustrating like you said you were ready to jump them further then it goes wrong.You cant take anything for granted in this game. HOpe your birds return.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Hawks scatter birds. Other birds flying the same coarse as your can drag them off line. Cell towers weather never know what happens You can have 4 month old birds take them 50 mile first toss never lose a one. And you can have 8 month old birds take them 5 miles and lose them all. Its a gamble with nature But a gamble alot of people make. Tossing them with older birds can help and hurt. If the older bird drags them away they get tired and sit down . But your birds age several people would have had them a 100 miles down the road by now. Good luck with your tosses and hope you do not lose many more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yip I do agree. What I have also found is if I lose a bird on a training toss and the bird returns after a week or two months, that bird will not get lost again. I do not get the logic behind that. My best bird in my loft at this stage is a hen that was missing for a few weeks. She got her form back and she is flying top 3 in my loft every week.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yip I do agree. What I have also found is if I lose a bird on a training toss and the bird returns after a week or two months, that bird will not get lost again. I do not get the logic behind that. My best bird in my loft at this stage is a hen that was missing for a few weeks. She got her form back and she is flying top 3 in my loft every week.
I think it is because that bird that was lost probably went to every wrong spot already trying to get back to its home and flock..now it knows what not to do. When the other birds get blown of course that little hen is going to lead them home.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I always lose more birds from the loft and short tosses than if I start at twenty miles 3 times and then to 55 miles for 8-10 times. My birds are conditioned before the first toss, loft flown twice a day for 4-5 weeks 1 hour am and 1 1/2 - 2 hours p.m. My best Old bird last year came home in March from a yb race in September last year! He came in with good condition and feather condition, I figured what the heck I'll train him this week and race the next. After 2 training tosses 1- 8 mile and one 25 mile we had a three day rain, come Sat. race he came in 35 mins. late on 239 mile flight and raced the rest of the year - 3 200mile, 2 300mile, 1 475 mile. On the races I'm 239, 347, 519 total of 1930 miles for a yearling season, never mated just flying to a box. You never know about these birds!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts