Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Ivermectin 1% injectable to dewormer my pigeons. Does anyone know the oral dosage and do I need to do a 2nd treatment in a week or so? I would appreciate any info anyone has on this subject. Also I have a pair with eggs, is it safe to dewormer them at this time?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your response!! And Yes, I am using it for worms. Does the pigeons size make a difference? Or is 2 drops pretty safe across the board? And what about my pair with eggs? I know with other animals it doesn't stay in their system very long. 😊

·
Registered
31 Posts
Invermectin Dosage?

From my experience,for 1 % i used to use a dose of 2 drops per bird oral then repeat after 21 days ,if you are using it for worms :)
Hello Dr. Rajan,

I have 6mg tablets of Ivermectin by Ranbaxy. Can you please let me know the concentration on medication that I need to give my pigeons (Siraj & Homer)?
1% soln would mean 10mg/ml if i am not wrong. Can you please guide me on this? my birds are having tapeworms.
As the tablets are in 6mg format hence i can only make it double to 12mg to get a 1.2% solution i.e.
1.2% soln = 12mg/ml
Is it correct? and can I administer 2-3 drops of this concentration to my birds?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hello Dr. Rajan,

I have 6mg tablets of Ivermectin by Ranbaxy. Can you please let me know the concentration on medication that I need to give my pigeons (Siraj & Homer)?
1% soln would mean 10mg/ml if i am not wrong. Can you please guide me on this? my birds are having tapeworms.
As the tablets are in 6mg format hence i can only make it double to 12mg to get a 1.2% solution i.e.
1.2% soln = 12mg/ml
Is it correct? and can I administer 2-3 drops of this concentration to my birds?
Ivermectin does NOT treat tapeworms.
I've never had tapeworms in my birds, so I can't help you with the correct wormer. Others should be along.
Some use panacur, but its not safe for pigeons.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Hello Dr. Rajan,

1.2% soln = 12mg/ml
I would say dissolve 6 mg in 6 ml of water (If it is soluble),from that take 1 ml.So EACH 1 ml should contain 1 mg.So it means,you have to give 0.8-1 ml per bird.Correct me,if i am wrong :).You can do it in many ways,but make sure the tablet is soluble in water Or just take the 6mg tablet and break it into 6 equal parts and give 1/6th to each bird.(But practically it may be difficult to break it into 6 parts )

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
THe moxidectin Plus is a good one to have, as was said, it kills tapeworms also.
Worming should be repeated in 10 to 12 days with a wormer, as that follows the life cycle of the worms. It kills the worms but not the eggs. You repeat in 10 to 12 days, to get the eggs that have now hatched into worms.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
1.If one is treating for lice and external parasites repeat after 12 days,as the eggs will hatch within 10 days.
2.If treating for worms repeat after 21 days,as the eggs remain viable in the loft floor or surrounding for nearly 3 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.