Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this probably is a stupid question but...
so i was told that when i get the ivermectin i should place it in between the shoulder blades. this medicine here says to put it in the water. can i still put it on the backs or should i use the water?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What is the concentration of the ivermectin?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Call them Monday and ask them for instructions to suit your needs. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
in the water here too, I have heard of the spot on treatment, just never used it. give a call like Charis said...let us know what they say, unless someone else posts that has used it before.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I could help you figure it out if we knew the concentration of the ivermectin and the weight of each of your birds. Without that information, I'm stumped.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yah. ill probably call monday. but i have no clue as to the weight of my birds. i think i might just end up doing the water. it sounds easier then worrying about giving them too much with the spot on. thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is from the Pigeon Medical Formulary by veterinarians

Name: Ivermectin (Ivomec, Eqvalen)
•Description: Ivermectin is derived from the avermectins, a family of highly active, broad spectrum, antiparasitic agents.
•Usage: Ascarids, Capillaria, Tetrameres, Strongyles, and other internal nematodes. Also used for lice.
•Adverse reactions: None.
•Dosage: 500 - 1000 UG (Micrograms), which works out to be .05 - .1 millimeters or cc's./bird for internal parasites. 1 1/2 - 6 cc per gallon of water for internal parasites. 1 1/2 - 3 cc per gallon of bath water for lice. For internal parasites the higher dosage is needed in many cases of ascarids and tetrameres. •Comments: This is a very effective and safe drug. Ivomec, the cattle preparation cannot be mixed well with water, thus birds must be individually dosed. Eqvalen, the horse product is water soluble and may be mixed with water. Wormer of choice for all worm's except tapeworms.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
this probably is a stupid question but...
so i was told that when i get the ivermectin i should place it in between the shoulder blades. this medicine here says to put it in the water. can i still put it on the backs or should i use the water?
DOVELOVE,Follow the directions on the bottle.:DGEORGE;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Dovelove. I curious to know did you deworm your babies with the Ivermectin? I'm thinking of ordering some to add to the "have on hand/first aid kit", so I'm interested in updates. Thank ya ma'am. ;)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
DOVELOVE,Follow the directions on the bottle.:DGEORGE;)

The problem is that she only has a couple of Doves and not a flock to treat and so individul treatment would be best and she will have some left to use again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it says to use the whole bottle for a gallon. so couldnt i break it down. say 1/4 the bottle for a 1/4 gallon. or break it down even further and only make enough for the one time. i mean they only need a couple drinks of it from what i read. wouldnt that work? then i would still have some if i need it again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Still learning

Please bear with me. I am only familiar with ivermectin used for injections. Labeled for cattle and swine. I have seen adverse reactions used topically. This type is not soluble in water but can be mixed and will remain stable in refrigerated “treats”. I mean… meat balls prepared for a week’s worth of treatment for demodex mites for dogs. This medication has so many beneficial uses, but is the water soluble type much different? The bottle Dovelove was posting; the directions… were to mix with a gallon of water. Any remaining could be refrigerated and given again in 14 days. For just a few birds could only a ½ gallon be mixed? Or maybe a ¼ at a time? I’m wondering if the shelf life (once seal is broken) would be as long as the injectable type.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Please bear with me. I am only familiar with ivermectin used for injections. Labeled for cattle and swine. I have seen adverse reactions used topically. This type is not soluble in water but can be mixed and will remain stable in refrigerated “treats”. I mean… meat balls prepared for a week’s worth of treatment for demodex mites for dogs. This medication has so many beneficial uses, but is the water soluble type much different? The bottle Dovelove was posting; the directions… were to mix with a gallon of water. Any remaining could be refrigerated and given again in 14 days. For just a few birds could only a ½ gallon be mixed? Or maybe a ¼ at a time? I’m wondering if the shelf life (once seal is broken) would be as long as the injectable type.
Eqvalen (ivomec for horses) is water soluble, that's the one I use.
I don't see any reason why she couldn't break that down to 1/4 bottle to 1 quart of water.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
so it sounds like i can break it down??
I see no reason why you can't. Its the same consistency (?- can't think of the correct term) just a smaller portion mixed. It's done all the time with meds to get down to the proper dosage.
If 1 bottle is mixed with 1 gal/water, then 1/4 bottle would be 1 quart/water.
I would mix the bottle (of ivomec) good before adding to water just in case of settling on the bottom. You want it evenly dispersed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok this is good. i didnt want to have to make a whole gallon for 2 doves. and im pretty sure only the one actually has worms.
thanks for the help everyone. meds are on the way.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts