Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever given injections of Ivermectin to their birds as a wormer or for killing parasites? Or does anyone know what the proper dosage would be? I ask because I can get Ivermectin a lot cheaper than having to order wormers from Foys. I have been searching for a table or any information to break down the dosage to give Ivermectin as an injection but I haven't had any luck. All I seem to find is oral dosages.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Has anyone ever given injections of Ivermectin to their birds as a wormer or for killing parasites? Or does anyone know what the proper dosage would be? I ask because I can get Ivermectin a lot cheaper than having to order wormers from Foys. I have been searching for a table or any information to break down the dosage to give Ivermectin as an injection but I haven't had any luck. All I seem to find is oral dosages.

"Ivermectin 1%: PO, IM: 0.2-1 mg/kg dilution Make a 1:9 dilution with sterile water or propylene glycol, oral use: may be repeated in 10 days"

Exotic Companion Medicine Handbook for Veterinarians

fp

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
If you're talking about this stuff, we don't inject it. Just put 2 to 4 drops down each birds throat.
Why would you want to stick your birds when you can give it to them by mouth?

NOTE: Edited the number of drops I use.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If you're talking about this stuff, we don't inject it. Just put 2 or 3 drops down each birds throat.
Now that is a very darn good question.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you're talking about this stuff, we don't inject it. Just put 2 or 3 drops down each birds throat.

Thanks Renee... I was about to ask this question since I just received them yesterday. After reading the instructions... I was about ready to order an syringe injection gun. What dropper/ syringe do you guys use?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thanks Renee... I was about to ask this question since I just received them yesterday. After reading the instructions... I was about ready to order an syringe injection gun. What dropper/ syringe do you guys use?
I just use a regular eye dropper. Just count out the drops. Just for the record, when I worm my birds, I give the number of drops according to the weight/size of the bird. Small to medium size birds get 3 drops and the large birds get 4 drops. A baby gets 2 drops WHEN I worm a baby which I seldom ever do.
Unless you squirt a whole dropper full in their mouth, you're not going to overdose them. At least, I've never had a problem if I got an extra drop by mistake.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just prefer the quick injection over prying their mouth open and risking getting any fluids down their air sac. I already currently vaccinate all of my birds and I can do that a lot quicker than trying to keep their head still while I put something into their mouth. I just feel that if I am able to just give a quick injection of the Ivermectin it will be a lot less stressful on the birds.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I use a drop of Ivermectin between shoulders on the base of the neck. It is even less stressful and faster than injection or oral method. Ivermectin gets absorbed through the skin. How fast can be to give injection when you need to change needle for each bird? If you use same needle for all of them, then is fast but improper way.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually fill a bunch of syringes with the propper dosage of vaccine and if i run out then sterilize all of the syringes before refilling them for the next group of birds. I never use a needle more than once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts