Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister found a fledgling pigeon while walking that fell from a nest from a overpass into the street. She placed the pigeon on the sidewalk. When she came home and told me about it we returned and placed the pigeon in the box and brought it home. I called around for help and did not found any at all at first. Someone called me the next day from a wildlife facility and asked me did the bird have any injuries. If it did not have injuries she suggested taking the pigeon back where we found it and put in a safe place where the mother can here the baby's call. I did not see any apparent injuries at first because the bird was sitting up. I thought it was not moving that much because it was a baby, but later I noticed that it's leg was hurt. I have no way of talking him to a vet and I was told that some wildlife places and vets euthanize these birds. He seems to be doing somewhat better, but the phalanges on his leg are not healing properly and seem to be curved in. I really would like to help him fly. I feed some pigeons that come by and the baby pigeon seems to chirp when they arrive even though the birds do not say anything. It seems to know when they are around. One of the pigeons sits on the banister and seems to watch the baby pigeon. This pigeon may be its mother. I really would like to help this bird get back out there. Is there something more I can do for his leg so it can heal properly. I am located in Chicago, Illinois. Thank you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have no idea what it is that isn't healing on his leg. Can you post a picture to show us?
How long have you had him now?
What are you feeding him?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I have been feeding the bird dog biscuits mixed with peas that were defrosted. I pour warm water over the biscuits until they are soft and I mash up the peas and mix them together. I have had the bird for over a week and he seems to be becoming more active and jumping out of the box I have it in. I think the adult pigeons that I feed may be his parents because the baby pigeon chirps when they are around. They seem to land on the banister where I keep it in a box and watch it quite often. The baby pigeon can peck up some food now so I gave it a little crushed sunflower seeds. I am ordering baby pigeon food at this time and would really like to get it back out there. I am posting some pictures of its injured leg and I hope it is not too late to help its injured leg because I would like to put a splint on the leg. I did put some warm water on it to soothe it and it did seem better the next day. I have posted some pictures so you can see the injured leg. I hope they are okay and you can see injured phalanges. Here are some images of its injured leg:

https://mail.aol.com/webmail/getPart?uid=29212122&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=0831171916.jpg

https://mail.aol.com/webmail/getPart?uid=29212121&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=0831171916a.jpg

https://mail.aol.com/webmail/getPart?uid=29212120&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=0831171917a.jpg

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I cannot see the pics. I am not logged into aol.
Do you mean that the claws or toes are injured?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.