Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jedds has a 5 in 1 combo by Vita King...for canker, cocci., worms, probiotics+ has anyone used this who can give me a thumbs up or thumbs down? Sure would make the preventative treatment for 32 pijis easier on me!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi, I don't know about that one, but I am using Vetafarm Wormout Plus that I got from Foys, and it takes care of : all worms, and coccidiostat, and it come in a bottle of 50 very small pills, and is easy to administer to a few piggies like mine. Hope this helps ya some.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
It's generally better if you only medicate for the specific problem your birds are experiencing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the birds had symptoms I would treat for it specificallyit...I was thinking more about preventative since I read that canker is always present at low levels and you need to treate for it periodically so that it does not get to a harmful level...same with worms...

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I have some of the 5 in 1 combo from JEDDS and have used it a couple of times when I thought something was "off" with an incoming bird but couldn't see anything definitive to treat for. I think it's probably useful as a preventative or "what if" treatment, but I would stick with the specific drug(s) when treating for a known ailment.

Terry

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi, Kippermom,

Just learning all about vaccines/meds/preventitives from our great experts here at PT.
The thing that concerned me with the Foy's 5 in 1 that you mentioned was that it contained probiotics. In the 'human' world of nursing, we always give probiotics 2 hours apart from the actual antibiotic/antiviral meds because it actually decreases considerably the probiotic effects as it contains live bacteria.
In this regard, I would give extra probiotics separate from the 5 in 1.
Hope this helps your birdies to stay in perfect health!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
That's a good point, Christin. Anything that kills bacteria in this product will also kill good gut bacteria, probiotics should be taken in between treatment doses or after the treatment is over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts