Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have a big question.
do you guys think its safe to jump from 60 miles to 150 miles?
i have a year old bird and i have been flying it for a year or so now,
the farthest i tossed it was 60 miles.

what you guys think?

o yea, and im new at racer pigeons.
im good at roller pigeons.
but roller and racers are brothers and sisters.lol.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
IMHO, if you have good racing stock than 150 miles would not be a problem for them. But you also have to consider the elements they go against when trying to make it home. Even a great bird won't make it home on a bad day. You take your chances either way when tossing from long distances the only confidence you'll have is knowing how healthy your bird is and what you've done to train him to get home.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Jumping the bird to 150 miles will be no problem for your bird. I had a Hen that was never trained over 30 miles--I sent her to 3 -300 mile races. She came home in good time--just not FIRST.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Last year I only took my young birds to maybe 35 miles one time. All other training was closer to the loft. I raced them all year in the top ten most every week and raced 340m twice.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
So, would you guys say that all the bird really needs is to be physically fit and that they don't need to be taken out 300-400 miles to train? Because I'm kind of worried about the cost of gas, or are these birds you all mention just the exception? (I'm asking this question based on young birds)

Thanks
Shokri

P.S. Sorry for hijacking your thread fresnobirdman

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Yes --the bird must be physically in condition BUT also MUST have Homing "genes". 30 or 60 mile -maybe a 100 mile -tosses should tell you if they have it. No need to take them farther.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The intelligence to get home is most important in a bird. Once you know that the birds in your loft has that in them then it's just a matter of physically conditioning them to perform at the optimal level. The only way I would go over 100 miles for tossing is if I had the extra money to toss from each liberation point for my club. That would get my birds familiar with the flight line home before the races.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts