Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my pigeon is now 19 days old and doing good, except he seems to not want to be hand fed as much as he used to. He used to eat quite a bit but now he only seems to want a little then gets fussy (he’s currently on Kaytee exact) but he will peck away at seeds no problem and seems to eat those after refusing the syringe. So my question is, is it normal for baby pigeons to not want to be hand fed as much if they have already started to try to eat seeds? And what’s the best way to feed him through out the day and how many times? Should I still be trying to get him to syringe feed through the day or should I mix it up and have seeds for one feeding then syringe for the next?

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
It's normal for them to start refusing food, as long as he tries eating by himself then it's ok. If he doesn't try pecking at seed and still refuse getting syringe fed, then you know something is wrong.

The ones I've raised in the past, were always very hungry in the morning. Syringe feed him in the morning, let him spend the rest of the day trying to eat seeds. If he still seems hungry at night, you can syringe feed him again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's normal for them to start refusing food, as long as he tries eating by himself then it's ok. If he doesn't try pecking at seed and still refuse getting syringe fed, then you know something is wrong.

The ones I've raised in the past, were always very hungry in the morning. Syringe feed him in the morning, let him spend the rest of the day trying to eat seeds. If he still seems hungry at night, you can syringe feed him again.
Thanks so much that makes me feel a lot better. He is still syringe feeding but refuses it only after a bit but he is definitely trying to peck at seeds so I’ll make sure he always has a supply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts