Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some indian fantails that were in a dirty loft and got their tail feathers all dirty from the poop and dirt on the bottom of the loft. I was wondering if it was possible to save them by allowing the birds to bathe a lot of by washing them with dove soap or something. I'm considering cutting the tail feathers since it's pretty bad but would much rather save them if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Do not cut tail feathers as you can clean them. Let them bath in one of these plastic cat litter boxes (something big enough for them to fit) pour 50 mm deep water, add ACV (apple cider vinegar) 1 teaspoon and 2~3 drops Listeryne mouthwash. Let them bath and they will enjoy and get clean. You need to let them bath often to keep them clean and healthy.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Yes...Pigeons love to bathe. Helps keep the dust down too. Mine bathe nearly every day.

It may take these several baths to get their feathers back in shape but do not cut them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
put them in a luke warm shower for a while. i do that to my white ones, they enjoy spending the day inside away from all the other birds now and then

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
My Fantails like to bathe but not as much as my homers and tumblers.
They are a little sloppy about it and don't like alot of water in the pan, they also prefer a shallow pan. If it's too deep they won't go in. Especially the "rolly polly" little hens. So in addition to a bath pan, I spray them with the hose - on the "mist" setting. They love that :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
make a warm bath with some baby shampoo and give them a bath, soak the tails and rinse when done, you can offer bathing of course but sounds like you need to bath them this time to try to get the stained feathers clean.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Baby shampoo sounds like a good idea. I'd try that. It's going to take more then the way they bath themselves to get those feathers clean. Maybe add a little borax to the water.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I let me own pigeons bathe all the time, and yes some birds seem to like it more than others. The reason why I was asking was because I let these birds bathe with my own and there wasn't much of a difference between them before and after. I will try allowing them to bathe by themselves with a little baby shampoo and some of the other remedies on here. How often should I go between baths? I'm assuming if you using baby soap you're going to strip their feathers of essential oils.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks guys, I let me own pigeons bathe all the time, and yes some birds seem to like it more than others. The reason why I was asking was because I let these birds bathe with my own and there wasn't much of a difference between them before and after. I will try allowing them to bathe by themselves with a little baby shampoo and some of the other remedies on here. How often should I go between baths? I'm assuming if you using baby soap you're going to strip their feathers of essential oils.
you need to bath them yourself...this time, to get out the stains, use warm water and some baby shampoo and rinse...then you can let them bath themselves whenever you do that...the point is they are dirty and need a helping hand...so give them a bath. they will recover their oils or bloom over time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts