Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just added up the total this mouth, and i have 14 eggs, and 12 baby's in the nests, i can't wait to see how they turn out. :D and only 3 nesting boxes aren't being used in all, i am probably going to have 100+ by the end of this year at the rate they are breeding. . . ^_^

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Seriously...do you really want that ? My recollection is you had some scares recently....I would seriously implore you to consider whether you can commit to providing each and every one of those potential babies a good and stable home for their entire lives....IMHO, remove some of those eggs or replace 'em with fakes....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i have no problem taking care of my pigeons i had more then 200 at a time and they were all good and never left, and the only scare i had was the storm that blew them away for a night but they all came back so it is all good, and i have more then enough room for them all, and i am about to add more box's for the new pairs that i have been watching, and i have never used fake eggs i don't want my birds to be just sitting on something and spending all there time on something that won't hatch.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Oh i have no problem taking care of my pigeons i had more then 200 at a time and they were all good and never left, and the only scare i had was the storm that blew them away for a night but they all came back so it is all good, and i have more then enough room for them all, and i am about to add more box's for the new pairs that i have been watching, and i have never used fake eggs i don't want my birds to be just sitting on something and spending all there time on something that won't hatch.
Why not use fake eggs, we all do. If you don't do some thing you will have a 1000 birds in 2 years, can you give that many a good home.
Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never used fake eggs and i don't like to think about my birds just sitting on something that will never hatch. Them spending all that time and nothing in the end so most of there life will be sitting in a box or something and nothing in the end just seams mean to switch there eggs.

1000 birds in a 2 year time WOW that would be crazy to see that flying. ^_^ but i have all ways had a control on the amount of birds i give them away when there is no room in the barn. ;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
If i were you and able to raise 100+ birds, i'll keep the good ones make good breeding pairs and then get rid of the extra/unwanted birds

and then start with the fake eggs, dont need extra birds to make unnecessary congestion in the loft

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh we get are grain for free we have a neighbor that has a silo full but it has little bugs that eat the grain so he can't plant it and he lets us have it cuss it is pretty much spilling out and the wild bird eat it so we just stop by every mouth and get bags full so feeding is not a problem. ;) and i am not saying that i would want a 1000 birds i was saying i wonder what that would be like to see that many pigeons in the air and on the ground just crazy. But i will never use fake eggs don't want them wasting there days doing nothing. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right know mostly feral, i have about 6 homers but they are starting to breed like crazy. :) but i have 5 half homer feral mix too. :) but i just keep them all together and let them out all day and lock them up at night. ;)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Don't you worry about feeding "buggy" feed? How about rats and mice, other vermin, urinating and defecating on the feed?:confused: Even if they are mostly ferals, this could cause you problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't you worry about feeding "buggy" feed? How about rats and mice, other vermin, urinating and defecating on the feed?:confused: Even if they are mostly ferals, this could cause you problems.
Oh no there is no vermin problem, they can't get into the grain that we have and from are neighbor's and there is just little bugs that eat the grain but once we put it on the ground the chickens eat them and then go for the grain, so the pigeons are fine, and i have never had a health problem with my birds that i know of they all live to a ripe old age, i think the only thing i had wrong with a bird is that one of its eyes was missing but surprising he was still able to fly with the others but he sure did move his head alot to see everything. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts