Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! One omg my pigeon eggs hatched and the patents are not sitting on the nest! Its only 10°F out today! I can take him inside but I'm not sure which pigeons are his parents! There is a heating lamp in coop but that's it for heat! The coop isn't fully enclosed! Help!

·
Registered
386 Posts
okay. first of all.. are the parents actually not sitting on them.. like just not present on the nest. In most cases.. the parents might leave the nest and come back... but... new pigeon parents may be less experienced than older pigeon parents that have raised young before.

hmm.. if you see the parents flying back and forth sitting on the babies then it should be fine.. but if you actually see the parents not sitting on the babies for about 10 minutes.. then yah... you might need to take them in... but 10 min in 10 degrees F.. yah.. babies would prob be gone already...

Hmmm...... I mean it is really up to you if you think the parents are not being good parents and you want to rescue the young... b/c you are the only one witnessing this... but like I said in most cases the parents should know what they are doing... by no means does that mean you cannot step in and take care of the young. It is cold outside where you live so if you are prepared to take in the hatch-lings... I think that would be a generous thing to do for nature.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Help! One omg my pigeon eggs hatched and the patents are not sitting on the nest! Its only 10°F out today! I can take him inside but I'm not sure which pigeons are his parents! There is a heating lamp in coop but that's it for heat! The coop isn't fully enclosed! Help!
Hello and welcome to PT.

Sorry to hear about the situation your squab is in.
How big the breeding box is? If the box is big enough,sit- observe and identify the parents and lock them in and come after an hour to see if they are sitting on the baby. Put feed and water for them inside the breeding box.
Or
If there's feed in the crop of the baby then it means the pair is feeding it and you can employ an artificial heating source to keep the baby warm.

Pigeon babies are very difficult to raise from day one. So I think you must make efforts so that the baby gets fed by parents atleast for 5-7 days. Otherwise only option is to bring the baby in and keep it warm and fed.

Have your pair raised babies before or are they young or first timers?
When pigeons are sick they abandon their eggs/babies?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no breeding box.....in fact the pair (mother hatched late August 2013and father around May 2013 - first time parents) laid their eggs on the bottom corner of the coop atop the hay that covers the floor. I have whitnessed them leaving the baby for quite some time..deffinately more than 10 minutes but they do return to the young. I have a heating lamp in there to warm it up some but even then it is not that warm in there. I'm honestly completely surprised my birds are laying it is so cold out!

·
Registered
217 Posts
heres what I think you should do:
Focus the heat lamp so it is warming the spot where the nest/baby is....use caution, do not over heat the area you just want it to be warm to give the baby a better shot if the parents arent sitting tight on it..make sure theyre feeding it..once the baby is about 5 days old you can make a decision if youre going to pull him out and hand raise it..he'll have a much better chance at that age

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you care for a 5 day old pigeon? If I was to bring him inside before then and I wanted to bring parents (bring inside to protect more from cold as its supposed to be in negatives tonight) to feed hon do I need to bring both parents or can I just bring one? I believe parents are feeding him I just want to give extra protection from weather.

·
Registered
217 Posts
lol..I just went through this WHOLE thing myself.. lol....you can bring the family inside if you have a guinea pig cage or rabbit cage to keep them in....you really don't want to separate the parents from the chick unless you really have to... baby pigeons can be handfed but its a big commitment, its always better if the parents can raise them

·
Registered
217 Posts
you should bring in both parents and baby if they arent sitting on it...to that though I must add that by this point in the temps you described theres no way this baby would still be alive if the parents were neglecting it....so far you said they werent sitting on the baby consistently..but are they feeding him>? If theyre feeding him all you need to do is bring them inside and let them raise him in the warmth of the house...the healthiest thing for the baby is for the parents to raise it..do you know how to check the baby's crop? When fed by the parents the little pouch under the birds neck/throat will be visibly all filled up with 'food'.
If you find the crop emtpy or baby constantly crying for food he may require supplemental feedings but not total handraising...in this case you can use Kaytee exact handfeeding formula mixed with crushed poultry layer pellets about a 60/40 ratio...I know some people use soley the pellets but I like to use both. You create the handfeeding mixture by mixing the dry ingredients with warm water until a thick soup like consistency ( a little thinner the younger the bird ) This can be syringe fed ( altho easier Im not sure if Id recommend this to someone not experienced in handfeeding) or you can create a safer method by using a syringe with a balloon over the end with a small slit in it and and letting the baby stick his beak in the slit and suck out the formula at his will... ( this is actually a more natural feeding method but I find it messy and time consuming )

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bringing in only one parent is a big NONO. Most pigeon pairs care for their young b/c they are both there. If one is gone or taken away. They will stop feeding the young and leave it to die.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you move them at this point, they may abandon the baby anyway.
Be careful with heat lamps, as they are very dangerous. They can, and have, shattered and caused fires.
In those temps, they should be in a coop or loft that is fully enclosed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The coop is not fully enclosed....its basically a dog house built on a much larger scale that is then surrounded by a decent sized wire area so that they may enjoy the outdoors (they probably enjoy it more in warmer weather although they do fly about and roost atop various perches even in the bitter cold). Unfortunately a heat lamp is a must even if there were no squabs....it was in the negatives last night and didn't get out of single digits all day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm trying to do the best a with what I have being a new owner and having virtually no knowledge of pigeons. A much nicer coop is being built in the spring.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Getting defensive really doesn't help. We are just trying to help you, and so are giving you needed advice. In my warning about the heat lamp, I was trying to warn you about it's dangers. Now what you do with that info is up to you. When I was warned long ago about the dangers of heat lamps, I choose not to use them, but to use reptile heat emitters instead. More expensive, but safer for the birds that I had taken on the responsibility for. People have had their lofts and barns catch on fire and burn down, animals and all.
And letting you know that they need to be in an enclosure that you can actually close up is important. For both their safety and their health. It is a far better idea to gain the information you need, before getting the animals or birds you are going to keep. Makes things lots easier on both you and the birds. So don't take well meaning advice as finding fault.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry as if I came off defensive as I didn't mean to. As before mentioned I thank everyone for their tips and information they are willing to share. I did not pick to own pigeons, I took them in as a result of an emergency (yes, I have grown to fancy them). I was informing everyone of their living conditions so they knew more of like what my situation was lik. As previously mentioned a much nicer coop is being built in the spring to better suit them. I am grateful for any advice shared with me. The baby seems to be doing fine! :)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I started that way too. I came home with 6 baby pigeons that were orphaned after an old porch had been torn down. They were all over the yard. A couple of them were only maybe 2 days old, and it was a cold day in April in N.E. They would have died, had I not collected them and brought them home to try and raise, with not an ounce of pigeon knowledge. At times it was difficult and time consuming to say the least, but by the grace of God, they all made it. I found P.T. a month later. LOL. I think we all make mistakes along the way as we learn. I know I did. But any advice given here is to try to help, as we have all been there at some point. When you build the newer enclosure, you will have learned more, and will do better. The first thing you need to get is fake eggs. They are a big help. I'm glad he is doing better. Stick around and you will learn much. Welcome to Pigeon Talk.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The fake eggs slow down the laying. If you remove thier eggs and they find an empty nest they will begin to court again very quickly and lay again in a short time. The hen will get weak and/or depleted of calcium from laying too quickly.....not good for her body. If you replace the real eggs with fakes they will continue to sit on them for a bit more than the normal 18 days or so incubation period before abandoning the eggs and starting over. This gives the hen a chance to recover while preventing unwanted babies. If you are breeding them you can still give them a break between clutches using the fake eggs or avoiding babies during the very cold or very hot months of the year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alrighty I will definitely be purchasing fake eggs....I would like to discouraged breeding as much as possible. With the egg that recently hatched my count is up to 9. But with the other eggs that have been laid my count will be up to 14

1 - 20 of 23 Posts