Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just Hatched Baby Pigeon NOT in Nest HELP A*S*A*P

I was out doing yard work over near my pigeon coop. Looked in (not quite feeding time yet) and saw a baby about 6" +/- away from the nest. Mom was still sitting on the other egg. I am concerned about the new baby getting cold.

Is it normal for her to not sit on it while the other is still in the egg?

Should I take the baby and put it under a heat lamp?

HELP!?

This is my second set of egg(s) that have ever hatched for us. The mom of this newly hatched baby is the only baby that hatched last year and survived! So this is still VERY new to me!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I don't know what to tell you, just keep checking back here often and you will get an answer from someone with experiance real soon. Sorry I don't know what else to say.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had hubby pick up the mom (shes super protective and was pecking at my hand while I was trying to put the baby back in the nest). So hubby picked her up and I put the baby back in the nest. She did not attack it or anything. After a few minutes (she was a little upset that we moved her), she went and is now currently sitting on the baby and the egg.

Heres a question:

This is my single female pigeon. Obviously she mated as she has a baby, but I think one of the males from my other pair was sneaking out to her nest at night! :)p) But I have never seen either of my 2 males sitting on the eggs only my lone female (I have 2 other females that are paired with the two males. This lone female was hatched last year and unfortunately the mom was attacked and died and the dad took off with wild pigeons a couple months ago).

I thought the male and female took turns sitting the eggs AND the squabs to keep them warm. If its just her... then what?? Also, is it normal for both babies to live? The lone female who hatched this baby had a sibling that hatched and lived for a few days but eventually died. Is that normal?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I had hubby pick up the mom (shes super protective and was pecking at my hand while I was trying to put the baby back in the nest). So hubby picked her up and I put the baby back in the nest. She did not attack it or anything. After a few minutes (she was a little upset that we moved her), she went and is now currently sitting on the baby and the egg.

You did the right thing. Always replace it in the nest unless it is injured. She should accept it back right away with no problems. :)

Heres a question:

This is my single female pigeon. Obviously she mated as she has a baby, but I think one of the males from my other pair was sneaking out to her nest at night! :)p) But I have never seen either of my 2 males sitting on the eggs only my lone female (I have 2 other females that are paired with the two males. This lone female was hatched last year and unfortunately the mom was attacked and died and the dad took off with wild pigeons a couple months ago).

I thought the male and female took turns sitting the eggs AND the squabs to keep them warm. If its just her... then what?? Also, is it normal for both babies to live? The lone female who hatched this baby had a sibling that hatched and lived for a few days but eventually died. Is that normal?

They do take turns sitting on and raising the eggs. Is there any way in the future you can get another male for her? While it is difficult for a single pigeon to raise two squabs, it can and has been done. You will need to keep a close eye on them and their development, and make sure their crops (the area under the beak) are full. You want to look for one being smaller than the other or not getting as much food as often the older/larger one is grabby. If this is the case, you can supplement the littler baby (or both, if the mom is struggling to feed them) with hand-feeding formula a few times a day. It's easy to do and we can direct you on how to do so.

As for your other question, it is not normal for the babies to die at all. Usually this can be a sign that their parents are carrying something. Are your birds vaccinated? This is not as scary a question as you may think, so don't worry immediately. It is fairly easy to vaccinate against diseases and they work SO well!! A vet can do it for you, or you can order the vaccines online, or you can contact a local pigeon club and ask if anyone has a few extras you can have/buy. They aren't expensive. As they come in large quantities online, the last option is often easiest, if you don't want to take them to the vet.

In the meantime, if you do have a vet that you use, you can take in a sample of the mom's poop without having to bring in the actual bird and stress her out. The vet can easily (and usually, cheaply) test the poop for any diseases. And don't worry, they don't carry any diseases you can catch. But most often they are carriers of Paratyphoid or another disease and while the parents remains healthy, the babies die or are sickly. Again, very easy to remedy.

Make sure the male who is visiting for romance in the middle of the night doesn't bother the babies. Male pigeons can get very aggressive with babies that they don't think are theirs. Please keep an eye on them and let us know if you have any other questions. Oh and make sure there is something in the next box such as an old towel or paper towels; it is crucial that the babies have enough traction as they grow or can develop splay leg. Good luck!!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I hope everything works out okay. If she is a single female then I wouldn't have let her hatch the eggs. I would have replaced them with wooden eggs. Often raising babies is too much for a single parent, and they will abandon them partway through. Better not to let them raise babies unless they are a mated pair. The player who visits her won't sit on the eggs, as she isn't his mate. Usually, a couple of weeks after the babies hatch the pair will start another nest and have more eggs. At this point, the male is the one who takes over the feeding of the young while she sits on the new eggs. That is what a mated pair will do. He won't feed these and care for them as if they were his from his mate, and as was mentioned, he could hurt them. If she abandons them you will have to finish raising them yourself. Think it might be a good idea to try to mate her up with a single male.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Whew. Thank you SO much. When I went back to check, she was sitting on the egg and the baby. When she puffed up a little at me, I could see the babys hinny barely under her breast feathers.

I have only had 2 babies ever (this mom being one of them) and the one that died didnt look normal when it hatched.

I was going to get a mate for her, but at the time, I thought she was a HE. I saw him/her doing the prancing and cooing like a male and found it difficult to tell if it was a male or female. Then I came outside, and voila, eggs. So def knew he was a she.

No they are no vaccinated. Well in the last year they have not been. They are wormed through the water but thats it. I wasnt aware that they needed anything. I can get some poo samples and take it to my vet... Im pretty sure she sees bird. If not, I can find one.

Can I just vaccinate anyways to be safe? Or if I do and they have something, will it cause a problem?

The nest boxes are wood with coastal hay for nesting material (I have horses so this is readily available and I get hay from up north that is from the amish and no fertilizers, etc). I can put down a towel or paper towels though.

Im pretty sure the male who mated with her was "Tito". He has been sitting in the vacant nest box that is above LW's (the mom) and just hanging out. But Ill keep an eye on him and Mr Boo.

I think I am going to go buy some bird formula tomorrow to have on hand just in case. LW was a very dedicated mom and I rarely saw her off the nest. Just to eat quickly and to take her morning flight. But I want to help out if she needs it. I honestly didnt think the eggs would hatch as I have two other females who ARE mated and they lay eggs and they never hatch and when I candle them, they are clear, but I let them stay in the nest until they push them out. I didnt even *think* to candle LW's because I knew she didnt have a mate and thought she was just going through the "motion". My fault!

Ill keep this updated. Thanks for the help. I was really stressed out!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
As long as you have enough nesting material in the nest for the babies, they don't really need a towel. It's just that they do need traction, as maryjane stated. Or their legs can splay out to the side. Make sure they have a lot of those grasses in their nest. Good luck, this could get interesting. I would do as you said, and have the bird formula on hand..................just in cast. Please keep us updated. I just have to know how this works out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me, you guys will probably get sick of me. I will def keep this updated! I will have to get pics... maybe tomorrow??

BTW, just an off thought... I have 2 other mated pairs... just traditional "grey" homing pigeons with the purple/green haze to the neck feathers. Anyways, Ive had them for 1.5 yrs approx and they mate and make nests and lay eggs and NEVER do they hatch. Birds are AT LEAST 2 yrs old if not slightly older.

At the same time we got the 2 above mentioned pairs, we also got a pair of white pigeons. Well the female was white with some little dark grey splotches and the male was all white. On their 2nd clutch, they hatched their eggs (mom in this post is a baby of them). And now, here we are again, and the grey pigeons are still not hatching their eggs and the white pigeon, who is a single mom, hatches a baby! Whats going on???

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is an older pic when we were updating the loft.

On the top left, the smaller white pigeon is LW, the single female in this post.
The bigger white pigeon below her is her dad, Big ******. He unfortunately flew off with 3 feral pigeons that came around one day because his mate got killed by dogs :)(). Then Mr Boo is the dark grey in this middle and his mate is the female on the nest to the right, Roxanna. Madonna and Tito are off to the right, you cant see them in this pic.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Trust me, you guys will probably get sick of me. I will def keep this updated! I will have to get pics... maybe tomorrow??

BTW, just an off thought... I have 2 other mated pairs... just traditional "grey" homing pigeons with the purple/green haze to the neck feathers. Anyways, Ive had them for 1.5 yrs approx and they mate and make nests and lay eggs and NEVER do they hatch. Birds are AT LEAST 2 yrs old if not slightly older.

At the same time we got the 2 above mentioned pairs, we also got a pair of white pigeons. Well the female was white with some little dark grey splotches and the male was all white. On their 2nd clutch, they hatched their eggs (mom in this post is a baby of them). And now, here we are again, and the grey pigeons are still not hatching their eggs and the white pigeon, who is a single mom, hatches a baby! Whats going on???
As a first step you can try candling the eggs to know whether they are fertile to hatch

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I normally DO candle them but I didnt even bother b/c I thought she was a he and when I found her sitting on eggs I didnt candle them b/c I knew she didnt have mate. Lesson learned.

Update:

Husband went and checked on them for me this AM. He said the other egg hatched and she is sitting on both of them and all looks well. I am going to DEF stop and get baby bird formula. eek!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I normally DO candle them but I didnt even bother b/c I thought she was a he and when I found her sitting on eggs I didnt candle them b/c I knew she didnt have mate. Lesson learned.

Update:

Husband went and checked on them for me this AM. He said the other egg hatched and she is sitting on both of them and all looks well. I am going to DEF stop and get baby bird formula. eek!
Thats a good sign :) Please keep checking once in a while to make sure both are getting fed and have the crop full but don't disturb them much.

About the candling of the eggs, I was referring to the eggs of the two grey mated pairs

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh. Well they pushed them out of the nest, AGAIN. They always do that and never hatch them. Only the white ones. What gives??

I checked them last night, against the wishes of momma LW. She was pecking and wing slapping me so I had to hold her just to check them. One I could def tell had a full crop but the other felt like it had some but I wouldnt say FULL. I just touched my finger to that area and felt around. Are there any tricks?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No one fights over nest boxes. That picture was in the middle of the revamp on the coop. The nest boxes are all closed with the bars now except for doors. The 2 grey females and males all sit on their eggs and then about 2-3 wks later, they are rolled out of the nest and a few days after that, there are new eggs. Ive candled quite a few in the last year and 90% of them are not fertilized, just clear.

I allow my pigeons to free range (I know a lot of people dont agree with that but it is my decision and I know what is on my property and the risks, thanks) and when I came home from work, LW had just came back in from pecking around on the ground. I checked on the babies, felt their crops... couldnt really tell, possibly not full. I stood there and watched to see if she was going to feed them but if I was around, she was not comfortable doing anything with them so I left. Looked over ther about 15 mins later and she was sitting on both of them.

Most people dont believe it, but we do not have predators (possums, raccons, neighborhood cats) because we have 2 large dogs that roam the property and ANYTHING that enters is found immediately by them (including snakes). My property is a little circle of 3 acres encompassed by over 10 acres of cleared land. We actually have our first squirrel in over 4 years finally venture over. Anyways, thank you for the concern.

How often will the mother feed them? When I get home (around 530pm), should I expect full crops? She was feeding (I feed them with the horses around 6pm) and all but again, shy to feed the babies in front of me.

Here is a quick pic I snapped before LW came back into the coop. They both wake up and search for food and all seems well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh no - I really do appreciate the advice. I agree with you in that you still should provide the info. I do the same when it comes to my horses and posting about them online as well.

Should I lock the mom in the nest box with food and water??? Or just not let any of the birds fly for now? They go out every morning and fly around the property.

I watched and watched and watched and never saw her FEED them, just lay on them.

Since she is just 1 yr old (approx), could she just not KNOW to feed them? Or was she just being super protective and not trying to show me that she had babies?

They have one of those long feeding troughs thats full of seed and 2 water basins. Now that its warm again, Im going to get like a cat litter bottom and put it out for bathing as they enjoyed that last year.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Well I am not being a pessimist here but with that single mother caring for the two squabs and seeing the size of the second squab, there is much size difference going to happen if you don't intervene. If the difference really starts to show in a couple of days, you could keep the bigger one warm aside for some time so that the second squab can have a crop full, it would be better.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes. I believe this is the hen who is having an affair with a mated cock.:):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think you have two different eggs from two different females and the timing is off by a few days over the amount allowed and thats why one is smaller than the other..I would leave things be and don't disturb too much but I would definitely get a nest bowl to keep the babies from rolling off the shelf and quickly transfer to the nest bowl for it would sure be more secure for the babies and put a brick in front so that the bowl doesn't get off the shelf---but have baby pigeon formula on hand and be ready to feed these babies if anything strange happens like abandonement and thats a daunting task for a few weeks until they feed themselves--also you would need this pigeon-baby mix to feed or supplement that small one if necessary a few times a day--I think they are different ages and different female eggs that were deposited there on the shelf hay. I had that happen one time and the male went back his first wife Virginia when she laid a egg about 6 days into this baby hatching. Inky the father sat on his wifes egg and never paid attention to his girlfriend snow flake on the two babies she was sitting on but at night I would catch him (two times) giving the babies pigeon milk because it must have bothered him (fullness of crop) and he watched the two females on a perch overhead. He did pigeon milk in a sporatic way but there
came a time when the babies were ready for seed and he never went back to the girlfriends babies to feed seed and she handled it all by herself and the babies did fine but they cried a lot more than a normal family. She also found her boyfriend at this time (first flight) and he would come and visit with her as she fed the seeds to the babies. I did pull Inky and virginia"s egg and even with that he never helped snowflake with the seed for the babies and Snowflake fed them by herself. He only tended to those babies for about 7 days then went to his wifes eggs and forgot about snowflake and the seed giving job but snowflake did well as a single mom and everyone survived but it was real hard on my nerves I can tell you early in my pigeon days. The two babies one looked like snowflake (smudge white) and Sparkles (white with dots) and Inky(total black) fooled around with her and fed the babies for the first 7 days and then forgot about them...
This has been a complicated story to tell but it might open up your horizons on some of the stuff that can happen...You do need a nest bowl so the babies won't roll off the shelf with something to secure the bowl as well...You do need baby pigeon formula just in case you have to supplement one or more or more of them until they are old enough for seed but I would leave them alone but keep a extra careful eye on the situation and make sure the mama is sitting on them to keep them warm--let her leave sporically but not too long as to chill the babies (use your judgement here) and be ready to take both babies inside and hand feed them if necessary ( a daunting job but can be done) but this should be a last resort--leave things be for now --as long as things stay within a life quality stage for these babies (judgement needed and a careful eye with environmental changes weather taken in consideration as well and her sitting ability..
I hope this complicated story helps a little bit but stuff happens-wierd stuff--sometimes...c.hert

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, this morning, the smallest one was dead. :(:(:(

It was lively last night but it was the one that didnt feel like it had a full crop but mom was sitting on them both and since I had just watched the mom feed, I was hoping she was going to feed the babies.

The smallest one was the one that hatched last. I feel so bad because I should have checked the eggs but just didnt think to because she wasnt mated. And she was cooing and strutting around like a male.

The surviving baby is getting SO big every day. Like almost double the size in 2 days. Shes very protective of the remaining baby and it had a full crop when I got home from work.

When can I get her a mate? I know a new male would attack the baby but I dont want her to go off and lay more eggs.

Like I said, that pic is almost a year old and was in the middle of us fixing up the loft for nest boxes. Each box has a tall edge and the dowel bars and a door for the parents to come in. I had a nest bowl for my first squabs last year and the babies were out and the parents ignoring it and never used it even when I moved the nest into it.

With the trap door, I can leave it down and catch the other pigeons and let them go out (they are pretty easy to catch at the coop is 6.5-7' tall) and they are used to being handled. They dont CARE to be handled but they are fine. Then they can come INTO the loft but no one can leave if the trap doors prongs are down.

Luckily for me, after tomorrow, I am off work until 4/19/10 so I will be here 24/7 and can keep a better eye on them.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why my dark grey couples NEVER hatch eggs and only my white ones have? What gives?

Oh - here is the current mom - LW - as a baby! A couple days old!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Sorry about the second squab, lets just take it as nature's way of action. Now with a single squab and the single mother, things should get a little more easier.

Regarding the eggs of the grey pair are they fertile eggs, I suppose they were yet to be candled.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.