Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case you don't really follow the General Forum ..

Here are a slew of pictures from the LAPC YB Lawn show from today. There were some interesting colors and feather patterns for me .. Also as you will see from the captions .. a WHOLE BUNCH of pigeons that I don't know what they are! :p

http://www.rims.net/2008LAPCLawnShow/

Terry

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ooooo, they're all so pretty!
Since I have nothing else to do, I'll guess what breeds the ones without names in the captions are :)
10 and 11 (maybe?) I think are Oriental Frills.
12 Chinese Owl
13 and 19 Bokhara Trumpeter?
21 Oriental Frill
22 Magpie/German or Ghent Pouter
25 Nun
26 Holle Cropper
38-41 English Long-faced tumbler
42 and 43 English Trumpeters
48 ASR
54 Starling?
73 english long-faced tumbler

Woo. I'm not that sure on any of those, but I guessed. Thank goodness for the Pigeon Breeds book! :p

Maybe I should have posted this in the other thread for this... :eek:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Becky! Posting here is fine .. I'll collect all the ID's and sort them out and update the captions.

I just get carried away at the shows and take picture after picture with nobody to ask about what the breed is. At the lawn shows, there are no cage cards, so I'm clueless, but I have a great time anyway! :)

Terry

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since Becky was first responder in this forum, here's another response:

Wish I could have been there.....I think I have identified more of the birds....
10, 11, 12 and 77, 76 are all turbits, I think.
15, 18 Dyed birds....Lord Berners of England, a noted aesthete and brainiac, had one of the treasure houses of England, and every day after tea would loose his flock of pure white pigeons, all dyed lovely shades of pink (to match his underwear according to some of the local wags!) for the entertainment of the people with whom he had just enjoyed an afternoon of gossip and good food!
19, 20 Trumpeters
24 Frillback
26 Mondain
29 looks like my dear old Newt (who was white), and is probably a short faced tumbler, as are 38 & 40, I think.
40-42 Trumpeters again.....rosette on top, LOOOOOONG muffs on the bottom and a squatty stance.....not much for flying, just floor huggers but large, heavily feathered birds.
51 indeed a Jacobin (as were my ancestors, the MacDonalds!)
53, yes a darling little Chinese owl.....had one that had been attacked by a hawk and brought to me by a lady that rescued it. He was with me for three or four years before he died....probably an old bird who got lucky when the hawk attacked.
81 Fairy swallow......I used to have one of these....Probably the most beautiful breed I ever had. Were there no Indian fantails in the group? Used to have several, including one that looked like a turkey. Also had a mookie, and had not seen another until I got to look at an old guy's loft a couple of months ago. The rat wouldn't sell me any! ~n

Terry

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Margaret is right

About the Suabian and I think it was spelled right.
The Swallow is a Silesian Swallow, blue, white bar. Fairy Swallows are shell crested.
The Pouter with white bars is a Saxon Pouter.
I also noticed a Reversewing Pouter, Black (white wings)
The Trumpeters with the odd crests look like Bokhara Trumps but I don't even recognize the crest. I haven't been to a pigeon show in 30 years or so.
I noticed a Nun also.
I don't know all the Pouters anymore. Some were probably Gaditano and Mercheno (sp?) which are both new to me but seem to be popular. You just didn't see alot of the breeds that have come around in the last 20 years or so back in my show pigeon days. Some are actually new breeds and some are old breeds from foreign countries that we just never used to see.
Things really change.
I'll go over them some more to see if I can identify any more that have not been identified. Frank would probably know them all as he is a judge.

These pics are a great addition to the breeds gallery. Great stuff Terry.

Bill

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Took another look

52 Looks to be a yellow Roller
55 May be an Egyptian Swift
58 Berlin Shortface Tumbler
67 Odd color on Modena is probably Opal
75 Norwich Croppers or is it 76
77 Oriental Frill probably spread brown frill stencil
82 Might be Dresden Trumpeters, can't see well enough, could be English, depends on the beak crest. English beak crests point up and Dresdens curl down over the bill.
91 Jacobin

Bill

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
OH! Bill just reminded me about the Breeds gallery like the Color genetics one I was going to do. I've got the colors up, but I completely forgot about the breeds. Has anyone already made one here? If not I'll make the folders right now and add some of my pictures.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Outstanding pictures. I always LOVE looking at the show pics our members take. Thanks for sharing them with us! :D

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Oh wow I didn't even notice we had that already :eek: But no I meant in the gallery section of the forum. We had the idea a while back to make a Color Genetics and a Breed album organized where all the members can add their own pictures. Then it'd make a good reference for anyone wondering what to call a color or a bird they have :)

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh wow I didn't even notice we had that already :eek: But no I meant in the gallery section of the forum. We had the idea a while back to make a Color Genetics and a Breed album organized where all the members can add their own pictures. Then it'd make a good reference for anyone wondering what to call a color or a bird they have :)
I think we still need to do the photos in the new Gallery, MofE. Those truly wonderful pictures in the top level of Pigeon-Talk have been there for years .. granted, they don't "wear out", but none of us (me included) have the ability to add or update those any longer. We would need to ask the current site Admin's who have FTP rights to the site .. I don't have those. Thus, I think kinda starting over is a good idea .. JMO ..

Terry

PS: Did Mr. Layne Gardner from the LAPC ever get back to you?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Please correct #54 to a Danish Suabian. The spangled starling is also known as a Suabian occasionally, but the bird pictured is a Danish Suabian. I know, I imported the original ones. :)

It's hard to keep some of the numbers straight, but the painted birds are Modern Spanish Thief Pouters.
The Silesian Swallows are better called Wing Pigeons.

# 09 is not a Pygmy, it's a Brunner Cropper - note that the legs are NOT slippered and they are straight, among other things.
#10 is a Blondinette (Oriental Frill) The Breed is Oriental Frill: the self colored birds are blondinettes, the shield marked, tail-marked ones are Satinettes.
#11 is a Blondinette The Breed is Oriental Frill: the self colored birds are blondinettes, the shield marked, tail-marked ones are Satinettes.
#12 is a Chinese Owl
#19 & 20 are Bokharas
#21 is 99.9% sure to be a Satinette (Oriental Frill)
#22 is a black Reversewing Cropper, not a Ghent.
#27 You're correct they are Old German Croppers
#39 and following are Muffed LFCL Tumblers
#42-43 English Trumpeters
#47 - I think Bill nailed this, looks to be a dominant opal Modena
#48 - very unusual color on the American Show Racer (i'm not even going to guess at the combination here)
#49 look to be Parlor Tumblers, but could be a few other things as well
#52 - Bill's correct, it's a yellow roller, but whether they're calling it a "flying" roller or a "show" roller is hard to determine here.
#55 Bill's correct, it is an Egyptian Swift
#57 African Owl
#76-77 Blondinette (Brown) The Breed is Oriental Frill: the self colored birds are blondinettes, the shield marked, tail-marked ones are Satinettes.
#78 is a Silesian Cropper and it's an Isabel (recessive red, pale, dominant opal) and gorgeous!
#88 - Fantail (There is NO such thing as an "American" fantail. There are Fantails; Indian Fantails, Syrian Fantails, but NO American. It doesn't exist.)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
The way I understand it, each person has their own pattern or colors they paint their birds, and it makes them easier to identify in the air.

Terry, nope, never heard from Mr. Gardner again.
But I do have the breeds folders up under my name in the Member Categories section of the Gallery. So now anyone who wants to can post pictures of different breeds there :)

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, thank you everyone for the ID's on the birds .. just saw Frank's list! I have not had time to make the corrections, but I will get this done, and I'll then run the end result past the LAPC people just to be sure. Once we have it right, I'll start loading the photos into the album(s) that Becky has created. It may take us a good while to get there, but I'll bet we can come up with a pretty comprehensive gallery of pigeon breeds, colors, and feather patterns.

Thanks to everyone who so freely shares their knowledge about such things .. I just go look, take pictures, and enjoy the shows. Hopefully I will make the Pageant of Pigeons, and we'll have a bunch more "eye candy" in the form of lovely pigeons to enjoy and ID.

Terry

1 - 20 of 34 Posts