Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi there i was just wondering how much the medicine for the paratyphoid was around your area looking for a cheeper way to buy it as i am unimploy'd but i can afford something it is around 70.00 canadain here plus i would need the gun so any cheeper is a big help plus i would need it maild here at my expence if you can help me it would be great thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Is it the vaccine or the medication to treat it that you're looking for? Sulmet treats paratyphoid, cocci, and worms. I can get a bottle at the local farm store for like $10.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Tyler my dad is doing mine for 50$ and will do urs too if you give him the 50$ or get ur own med. The needle my dad will take care of he is just going to buy a cheep suriginge for now its all we need. We will needle our birds two times each.
Two times each? :confused: How big are the syringes?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Okay, that's what I thought you might have meant :p Just making sure.
These are the kind of syringes we have
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/176-511.html
I don't know how many we have, but it's a good sized bag of them. It's recommended that you don't use a syringe on more than one bird (of course they can be washed and used again at another time). Or at least change out the needle after each dose. But...I kind of...don't :p At least not when I'm vaccinating a whole flock of healthy birds. But for vaccinating individual sick birds, I only use one syringe for that one bird to prevent any kind of spreading. The paratyphoid vaccine can be used to help 'cure' a single bird. I've done it before with already-sick birds and it works most of the time, if caught early on.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I think i would be using my own needle for my birds then he would use seperate for his if anything. Because buying 40 needles would be a pain. I dont even think i can count to 40 :p
Haha. Yes, you'll both need your own syringes definitely :p Just remember to wet the injection area with alcohol first before you stick them. It might also help to wipe the needle after each injection since you'll be using the same one over and over. I would really suggest buying more than one needle though. You might only need one syringe, but you don't want to put a used needle back into the bottle to refil the syringe. There's a possibility of contaminating the whole vaccine bottle that way.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep. Have someone hold the bird with the neck extended, and insert the needle towards the body. Otherwise you could accidentally poke nerves that can paralyze or kill the bird! Someone I know accidentally killed one of his young birds that way. He was in too much of a hurry.
We always put some rubbing alcohol in a small squirt bottle and wet down the feathers with it. Makes it a lot easier to separate the feathers and get a good spot on the skin. I've had to vaccinate a lot of birds by myself, so wetting the feathers really helps then.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Howd u do it by urself? Put the pigeon between ur legs, stretch out the neck and inject wirh ur other hand?
Haha, I've done that before, but usually, no :p Usually I hold them the same way I do when I give them pills. Sorta hold them in on arm like a football against your chest, stretch the neck a little with that same hand, and vaccinate with the free hand. It's very hard with the more wild birds :eek:
Also, if it's just one individual treatment, I'll just wrap a towel around the body to hold the wings in place where they can't flap. Then sit them on my lap and vaccinate. Between the pigeons and my mom's B-12 shots, I think I've got this vaccination stuff down :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.