Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yes, a droopy wing could also be from an illness but probably, as he crashed against your window, he injured himself. Maybe a dislocation.
Last September we rescued a pigeon attacked by a predator, she had a broken leg and a even a broken wing. We had to keep her into a small box for a month because she had to rest her leg (the vet put a bandage) and wing. Now she is able to fly but not in a good way and also has a droopy wing (she limps too). I think that she would not be able to survive in the wild so we adopted her. I attach a pic so you can see the droopy wing.

Anyway, as I suppose that he was kept into a small cage when he was at the rescue center and that he rested his wing for a few weeks I would not stress him today. Tomorrow the vet will visit him and suggest you the best thing to do. Maybe you could ask to the vet to do some tests (if he does tests). Just to be sure.

My birds eat throughout the day... But I don't have any experience with wood pigeons so honestly I can't give you an opinion...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi, how is the bird doing?
Sorry for the delay. The vet couldn't find anything with the external assessment but could see one wing was weaker than the other. Said they could do an xray but they recommended giving him more time as I was already seeing a big improvement in his flight. Now he is a very strong flier and eager to go free. I don't see him drooping his wing anymore. Probiotics and calcium supplement seemed to help. Hopefully just has to finish his coccidiosis treatment now as they were found in his dropping sample. Seems to be a bit more confident so coming down for food 2/3 times a day rather than just once. It's nice as he'll eat at the same time as his parent who I feed just outside the enclosure so they can 'forage' together either side of the mesh.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update: I made a gap at the top of the mesh last week to give him the option to leave. Didn't take him long to notice - after a couple minutes, he flew straight up and out through the hole and up over the house. Although it's hard to tell him apart from other juveniles, a short time later, I saw a young wood pigeon on the roof of the house opposite and later on he was joined by an adult. A few days later I saw a very nervous young wood pigeon land on the aviary roof and do some foraging in the garden. Hope he's doing ok and would be lovely to think it's him I've been seeing.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Thanks for the update! Good job 😊!

I hope that you really saw him! That would be nice!
Maybe when he will feel more confident he will start to regularly attend your garden! And maybe he will bring there even his/her future mate!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the update! Good job 😊!

I hope that you really saw him! That would be nice!
Maybe when he will feel more confident he will start to regularly attend your garden! And maybe he will bring there even his/her future mate!
The nervous youngster is probably the one you released. They always return. Please provide him with food and water. He will probably try to get back into the aviary.
Thank you for your replies. Yes - would be lovely if he sticks around and even one day brings his/her mate. I've got seeds down for him so he has a food supply and brought his water bowl into the garden so he'll hopefully recognise it and can have a drink. I've left the hole in the aviary mesh open so he can go inside if he wants. I think he will probably be even more nervous than the other pigeons worried I'm going to catch him again!

I released a juvenile last year and similarly never knew if I was seeing him or another juvenile in the area. But in the spring I was getting the aviary ready and had left the door open and saw a pigeon wander in (there wasn't any food inside so no reason to go in). With wood pigeons being so nervous I'd never expect one to walk into a building, I did wonder if it could be the juvenile from last year recognising his old home. I didn't ring them so never know for sure but would be nice to think they get a second chance and have a good life.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts