Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby boy, my joker, Katra (I have threads about him here), was perfectly normal when I got home last night. Flew around, landed on me to coo and peck. When I finished my dinner and came back up about 45 min later, he was on his side and gasping for air. I picked him up and he was incredibly wobbly. While I was on line researching, he died on my chest.
What could be the cause? He was large, seemingly healthy, and fine an hour earlier.
He seemed to be trying to throw up before he passed, and a bit of water did come out twice.

I'm completely devastated!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Omg that is so horrible? Do you think he put something into his mouth and choked?
Need more info, age? Heart attack?
Did u hear a thump that he may have flown into anything?

If desired, you can keep him cool and wrap him and ship him to vet that will do necropsy to give you a definitive answer.

Im thinking there are too many things that can happen an yet will never know without the necropsy, its just a guessing game.

The vomitting up fluid I am aware of that all of my birds pigeons and caged alike empty the crop contents when they die, may be a matter of just the crop muscle relaxing allowing it to flow out. I think it is just a normal by product of passing away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aww thats terrible! A few months ago, my birds egg hatched and the next morning, it was panting and gasping and i didn't know what was wrong but by the time we got him to the vet, he died (tear).

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Aww thats terrible! A few months ago, my birds egg hatched and the next morning, it was panting and gasping and i didn't know what was wrong but by the time we got him to the vet, he died (tear).
This all sucks, I hate hearing these stories :(

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Were his droppings looking normal? Salmonella may kill sudden a bird. Few months ago, at CBL's request, I posted photos with all my pigeons, including a young, apparently healthy male who seemingly had not any problem, save for green diarrhea last day(s), which was preceded by slighlty pink poops (blood from ecoli).

The night after I took the photos and posted them, he died this way: I came during the night to check them and find him staying on the edge of the nest (he was having a baby). I pushed him on chest to make him step down from nest and he fell on his back and remained in this position. He seemed paralysed. I put him on a cloth, then I put for me a blanket on the floor next to him and I fall asleep. Few hours later, when I woke up, was dead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts