Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I'm currently designing my loft but I have a question first I hope ypu experts can help me with. I would like to get American Fantails, Modenas and maybe some Archangels. Can I keep these all in the same loft? I plan on buying these in pairs but will they interbreed if kept in the same loft? And if I decide to get more breeds in the future are there any types that don't get along together? Thanx in advance, so many questions......

-Tony

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi guys! I'm currently designing my loft but I have a question first I hope ypu experts can help me with. I would like to get American Fantails, Modenas and maybe some Archangels. Can I keep these all in the same loft? I plan on buying these in pairs but will they interbreed if kept in the same loft? And if I decide to get more breeds in the future are there any types that don't get along together? Thanx in advance, so many questions......

-Tony
Some breeds you can keep together with no problems. But some are more aggressive than others, Modenas being one of the more aggressive breeds. American Fantails are pretty docile. I went to a show a couple of years ago looking for some Modenas. I was warned by the breeders about this and they suggested I NOT put them in with the Fantails. So I came home with 3 more American Fantails instead ;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what ms freebird said is right..modena's are robust and can be aggressive.. it is fine to house different breeds together ..but you have to look at the traits of each breed and make sure they are compatible. examples are say jacobins they are clannish and do not like being around strong excitable breeds like homers..but do not mind fairy swallow as they act allot alike.. American fantails are smallish and non aggressive they prolly would not do well with modenas.. I have heard pygmy pouters do not do well with other breeds because they are docile and easy going... IMO I would seperate the modenas by themselves, not sure about the archangels and what they are like.. they may do fine with the fantails..

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If they are already paired up, you won't have many problems. BUT crossing IS possible if other cockbirds happen to get to the hen first.
As far as different temperaments, make sure they have room. At least one nestbox per pair and at least one perch per bird.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mary is correct as far as having another cock bird trying to mate.Also ,there's a chance that a hen would let other cock birds mate with her.And it might just happen when you're not around the loft.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Modenas are rather protective of there nest area. And scalp there own young when they try to drive them from the nest. fantails are not agressive And might have a problem in with the modeans. You could use indviduel breeding compartments. BUT I would section the loft off and keep each breed seperate. It is safer and easyer to to work with your birds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts