Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a feral pigeon who cant fly he was very weak when i was given him. I have treated him for worms,mites ect and hand fed him until he was much stronger. looks to be his back end he cant move. my question is could he live in my aviary with diamond doves and finches? presently he is in my house in a large cage but he is getting very frustrated and needs some company

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I would say yes if he is 100% healthy otherwise so he cannot get the others sick, so I would treat for EVERYTHING first, like canker, salmonella, ecoli and the rest that u did including pmv, IF that is what he may have unless u know what the injury is from. Like a mechanical injury from hit by car or flying into something. U can always bumb one cc from a racer and vaccinate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he has had medizole for a weeks treatment and ivermectin ect also. he crashed into a neighbours window, he gets around by walking and hopping onto low objects. he is eating and taking a bath but is underweight i think mainly due to being depressed and hes pulling his feathers out.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Tracy, I'm a little confused. You say he can't move, but then that he gets around by walking?

Do you mean he can't fly, but otherwise he is mobile?

Can you weigh him in grams.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John, thanks for reply.
I said his back end doesnt move ie lower back /tail area. he doesnt seem to have any control over his tail. His tail can touch against something and hes not aware its at a right angle to his body.He can get around by walking/hopping on very low things. He has no trouble at all with his legs/head.wings appear to be all good ,no feather loss. His breast bone is sticking out a lot. we hand fed him formula for a week when we first had him. he is capable of eating. when i put him in the fenced garden he was picking at bird seed but seems depressed in his cage to want to eat very much. The neighbour who brought him to me said he crashed into her window.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
When u say depressed do u mean not spunky, ill feeling, check his blink rate. If he is blinking slow then he may be sick. Can u post a short video? He may need some meds. Lets see his poop too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He does stare a lot not blinking and just sits on his perch until he wants some food. last week i had him on the medizole and syringe feeding him with egg food and he seemed perkier. he will growl and karate chop me with his wing if i go to pick him up

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
He does stare a lot not blinking and just sits on his perch until he wants some food. last week i had him on the medizole and syringe feeding him with egg food and he seemed perkier. he will growl and karate chop me with his wing if i go to pick him up
Hhahah thats funny, karate chop, yes that is a good sign. The video was not helpful, I need to see the birds eyes from the side to watch blink rate. The poops are too green and bulky, they should be nice tight coils with a white cap, that cap looks to creamy. Can u get him on a general anitbiotic for 7 days.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

To link to a video just type your photo bucket link in (have edited your previous post to show what I mean) as vBulletin does not allow one to embed video.

The usual broad spectrum antibiotic vets prescribe here is Baytril.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Video take 2, hope this ones better for you to see him:) What would you recommended as a broad spectrum antibiotic? i only have ronaldozide , ivermectin and metronaldazide here at the moment.many thanks for all your help:)

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l544/Tracy12111/MOV02572.mp4
Thanks PERFECT video tells me a few things, :) Good work!
Blink rate is about 80 % and fairly quick which is good, (100% is hard to even see but u can, in the blink of an eye hahahah) his cere is nice and white also good, AND the pins indicate a heavy full molt probably near the end, also good but taxing on a sick bird, so, I would still do a round of general antibiotics, all u have on hand are antiprotazoals. Can you get either amoxicilian, or baytril or tylosin or any combo of these. What are your resources. Otherwise do as we all do, buy online or call vet or farm supply to see what they have.

Also bigtime give him a probiotic, you can start that TODAY. :) IF you have any vitamins in powder form or even pediatric liquid drops for babies, you can put one or two drops in a gallon of water and give that to him.

Krzys said to upload my video to youtube so u can watch it. I dont know how ur gonna do that but he says you can. Waiting for further info....

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
If you need to get Baytril or other antibacterials, you will need to get them prescribed by a vet. You cannot get them over any counter here, and you cannot get them online without a prescription.

The exception is that some meds can be purchased from Jedds in the USA (the others don't ship to the UK), BUT they may be spot checked by customs on reaching the UK and you get charged import duty and fees to the post office (yes, I got caught like that). You won't get Baytril from them, though. Another one is Merca Systems, who have a UK shopfront online but are in Spain, with the same potential import problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thankyou very much for you help you have been great. I am phoning my vet in the morning for some antibiotics. i also have here some avigold advance so i can start him on that straight away. will let you know how we get on. poor chap has scratched his eye now with his claw! hes really in the wars

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Looks like he broke something in his back end. If he isn't eating enough, then you would want to hand feed him to supplement whatever he is eating, to get his weight up. If he is ill, then he may need a wide spectrum antibiotic, like Baytril or similar. He should also be quarantined from other birds for a month anyway, not sure how long you have had him.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts