Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Im Luke from New Zealand.

A friend of mine here in NZ told me about this site so here I am. He said there was this young chick called mary of exiter who knew her stuff when it came to genetics.

I started making a website about pigeon genetics but lost inspiration www.wix.com/thepigeonkey/1

It's got a long way to go but I hope I finish it by the end of the year.

I have a few frillbacks, valencian thief pouters, croppers, racers, rollers and high fliers.

I plan on breeding recessive red and black frillbacks using west of englands.

I understand how I go about this but it would be interesting hearing other peoples views...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Welcome to the site Luke! She will probably laugh at being called "a young chick", but "Mary of Exeter" is a talented young lady on here with a good eye and passion for genetics.

What frillback colors are available currently in New Zealand? Recessive reds adn blacks are both well established in this breed though if importation is hard you may need to start from scratch. This could be fun, but understand that you will lose most of the curl during the initial outcross and it will take a couple generations to get good curl back into them.

·
Registered
967 Posts
She really knows her stuff, she amazes me everyday

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welcome to the site Luke! She will probably laugh at being called "a young chick", but "Mary of Exeter" is a talented young lady on here with a good eye and passion for genetics.

What frillback colors are available currently in New Zealand? Recessive reds adn blacks are both well established in this breed though if importation is hard you may need to start from scratch. This could be fun, but understand that you will lose most of the curl during the initial outcross and it will take a couple generations to get good curl back into them.
currently we have only red and blue grizzle red bar and blue bar or recessive white. also crested and dilute

Frillbacks are very rare here and most are red or blue grizzle because thats what was imported like 25years ago. also recessive white with a crest was imported but very few people have these

What colour would you breed into them if you had the time? almond? brown?

the importation of birds was stopped about 25 years ago because of some avian bug/flu

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your time is displaying wrong you need to set your time zone.

Click on 'User CP' in the top left corner.
Once there click 'Edit Options' and time zone will be towards the bottom.

What kind of high flyers do you have?
Hiiiii

I have Serbian high fliers but don't fly them as a kit yet, just a couple flying with my racers and rollers

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just found my first ever post,... Chris your the first person I made contact with and now I see you everywhere! well not everywhere but here and there. I have way too much time on my hands. Its been nice getting to know you and others, I had a few conversations with becky whos name i thought was mary lol.

Evan my flatmate aka nzpigeon who also keeps pigeons loves a good debate on colour genetics, as becky, print tippler and rudolf would know. he knows more about that stuff than I ever will.

Im glad I found pigeontalk, its been fun talking to other likeminded people, sharing pics and stories. I'm still learning how to use the site. I find it slightly addictive but I do have an addictive personality.

anyway thats enough for now, its a beautiful morning out there,.. think I'll go feed the birds and change waters.

bye for now

Luke

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
nice birds Luke and loved your video... looks like your having fun there! I have a few white frillbacks and really do love the breed. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree, I've had some good conversations with you Chris, we have common interests and think the same. I don't get along with everyone, sometimes I enjoy debate but I cant see us disagreeing on much aye.

I would like to know more though, I'm quite forgetful sometimes.
did you have pigeons as a kid or before you got the fbs?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yup. I started with a pair of rollers when I was 14 or 15. They flew away one day and I found a guy selling 3 pairs of Russian Tumblers. I bred and even showed the Russian Tumblers for several years. Also had some not show quality "Garden" fantails. Life had other priorities and I had to get rid of my birds when I was about 26/27. Just recently got back into them a little less than 2 years ago.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cool, I guessed you must of had pigeons in the past. how old is your daughter again?

I don't want to offend any of the old boys on the other site but do they think us newbies are going to ruin the breed by making new colours?
I want to make the breed better and more popular. We could all breed blue grizzles and let the breed vanish for lack of interest

Also we arn't all privleged enough to go to germany and buy new stocks every couple of years just to win all the shows.

Its all for fun isnt it?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Agree, all for fun and I LOVE genetics!!! I have loved genetics since I was was a teenager. I remember correcting the teacher several times in my high school genetic class. I do agree with keeping the best and trying to improve the breed (as you obviously do to), but I like the idea of adding new colors etc. I also worry very much that the frillback breed is weak. There has been selection for curl but ignoring the overall bird so we are getting weaker birds of poor fertility. We don't want that either.....that is we don't want to improve only one characteristic at the expense of the whole bird.....we must select for both together. This has ruined a lot of purebred dogs and other "pure" livestock in recent years. Luke, it is not genetics but if you ever get a chance read Temple Grandin's "Animals in Translation".

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
BTW, how are shows in New Zealand? These guys that win the shows must not only breed good birds, but there is a lot of travel involved. Looks fun, but I have neither the time nor the money for that on a regular basis. There is a pretty big show in Pennsylvania every year I try to see. Seems like a lot more of the "big shows" on the west coast.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There were a lot of frillbacks in the NPA show here in Christchurch earlier in the year. 5 or 6 people entered about 8-10 birds each.

It was actually my first pigeon show and my young cock got reserve champion. I had to ask the judge why he wasnt awarded best young bird though. Someone elses young hen won best young bird which left me wondering,... anyway I asked a few people, they f'd up lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts