Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I live in an appartment building and have been keeping a few pigeons in a small coop on my balcony for some time, neighbours can't see the coop except one lady who doesn't care. It wasn't planned. I just allways find young pigeons that fall from their nest and can't reach to put them back and things like that, or find them in one way or another, found a young one walking in the street late at night the other evening with no parents around and had an empty crop, too young to be out of the nest, cats everywhere so I took it home. I'm not talking about fledglings, I know they don't need any help. I'm talking squabs. Sick or injured adults I just get em well and release em. But I keep the youngsters in a coop. Let a couple out the other day who haven't returned but are hanging around. Have another two already. Thinking about making a new little coop with a trap this time, a better one. Havnt had inspections since COVID, but when I do I'll just take the birds to a friend's place while they're here maybe. N just say yeah I have a coop. Put a bird in there but it escaped, won't do it again. They probably wouldn't care anyway. What ya'l think. Am I being crazy here? Sneaky pigeon coop, or no sneaky pigeon coop. That is the question. Don't just veiw and be gone. Give me your 2 cents worth

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
🤣🤣🤣

Please go ahead and build the aviary with a trap door. That will be perfect for doing soft releases. When they enter for feeding and sleeping, then you just close up for the night. Do this until they feel comfortable staying outside and find alternative spots for sleeping.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi, there are hundreds of people that look at post every day yet they never reply to any of them, how many people out of the hundreds that look at the post reply i will tell you about 4 or 5 reply thats it im sure you can figure out who they are, 90%of the post on this forum are for sick and injured birds and only 2 people will always reply to them, Shaheem they dont reply to your post cause they do not know the answer

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Those members that read your post, will also read the answers and that way everybody learn something new every day. Maybe some members don't have the confidence to reply, scared of giving the wrong answer. I was one of those members 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When creating a new topic, making a second post immediately prevents the topic from appearing in the "Looking for replies" list which only shows topics with solely the first post and no other posts.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Brand

The "Edit" button to change or add to a post is hidden under the vertical dot-dot-dot symbol at the upper-right of your completed posts.

Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Pattern

^ Click the vertical ellipsis symbol to "Edit" the existing first post instead of making a second post, and the topic will still appear in the "Looking for Replies" list since it only has one post.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
🤣🤣🤣

Please go ahead and build the aviary with a trap door. That will be perfect for doing soft releases. When they enter for feeding and sleeping, then you just close up for the night. Do this until they feel comfortable staying outside and find alternative spots for sleeping.
Glad I could amuse you with my angry sarcasm. Im gonna get a carpenter to make it, i don't have tools. And it's not a soft release homie! Not unless the pigeons decide it is. I want them to stay. I like their company. I'll let em out in the morning and let em fly all day, I just want to be able to call them in and feed them, look after them. Then do it all again the next day. Would be cool

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, there are hundreds of people that look at post every day yet they never reply to any of them, how many people out of the hundreds that look at the post reply i will tell you about 4 or 5 reply thats it im sure you can figure out who they are, 90%of the post on this forum are for sick and injured birds and only 2 people will always reply to them, Shaheem they dont reply to your post cause they do not know the answer
There's no real "answer" I didn't ask what is the square root of 9872. I just asked people to weigh in as to whether or not they think I should keep pigeons on my balcony. I'm of the opinion that they just like something to read while they're taking a ****. And that they are also a bunch of chumps

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When creating a new topic, making a second post immediately prevents the topic from appearing in the "Looking for replies" list which only shows topics with solely the first post and no other posts.

View attachment 102433

The "Edit" button to change or add to a post is hidden under the vertical dot-dot-dot symbol at the upper-right of your completed posts.

View attachment 102434
^ Click the vertical ellipsis symbol to "Edit" the existing first post instead of making a second post, and the topic will still appear in the "Looking for Replies" list since it only has one post.
Duly noted. Appreciate it, some useful information! Marina b and beach lumber need to take a leaf out of your book

·
Registered
Black Diamonds
3 Posts
Title says it all. I live in an appartment building and have been keeping a few pigeons in a small coop on my balcony for some time, neighbours can't see the coop except one lady who doesn't care. It wasn't planned. I just allways find young pigeons that fall from their nest and can't reach to put them back and things like that, or find them in one way or another, found a young one walking in the street late at night the other evening with no parents around and had an empty crop, too young to be out of the nest, cats everywhere so I took it home. I'm not talking about fledglings, I know they don't need any help. I'm talking squabs. Sick or injured adults I just get em well and release em. But I keep the youngsters in a coop. Let a couple out the other day who haven't returned but are hanging around. Have another two already. Thinking about making a new little coop with a trap this time, a better one. Havnt had inspections since COVID, but when I do I'll just take the birds to a friend's place while they're here maybe. N just say yeah I have a coop. Put a bird in there but it escaped, won't do it again. They probably wouldn't care anyway. What ya'l think. Am I being crazy here? Sneaky pigeon coop, or no sneaky pigeon coop. That is the question. Don't just veiw and be gone. Give me your 2 cents worth
I don't see any reason why you can't keep a few birds . Once they are free to come and go they are no longer being "kept" and not violating any rules

·
Registered
464 Posts
I dont visit here often anymore but I used to love this site. Back then many participated in answers and I found it very helpful. I just wanted to comment on the two pictures you posted. Its kind of hard to tell but to me it looks like they are both homing pigeons. I had white homers and sadlleback homers back when I raised them Health reasons I had to quit but I miss them like crazy.Enjoy yourself and build a small coop. Just be careful about letting them over populate. The temptation is always there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't see any reason why you can't keep a few birds . Once they are free to come and go they are no longer being "kept" and not violating any rules
I figgured the same thing, a loophole maybe. I'm not keeping birds, I'm just keeping a coop. My lease doesn't say I can't have a pigeon coop on my balcony, and if pigeons decide to hop in there that's their business. They'l have to discuss that with the pigeons, it's nothing to do with me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts