Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I feed my birds at night how much should I feed them to keep them hungry when I let then go to fly the next night.
Currently I let them go to fly about 2 hours before sundown. toward the last 1/2 hour I whistle for them and put feed in the loft and fresh water. I always blow a survival whistle, because it's loud,before feeding them. I would like them to trap faster thru my sputnik style trap. I suspect I'm over feeding them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You really don't want them hungry, you just want them to think that they are hungry, but to create that mindset you have to make them hungry at first. Day 1 don't feed them and don't let them out but always have clean water for them. Day 2 give them 1/4 their normal amount of feed, don't let them out. Day 3 feed 1/2 normal feed. Day 4 feed 3/4 normal feed. Day 5 give normal amount of feed. The birds should think they are hungry all the time now. When you feed if there is food left in the feeder after 15 minutes, you are feeding too much. Any time the birds are sitting around and there is feed in the feeder, you are giving them too much, remember the more you work them, the more you will have to feed them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts