Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pigeon stopped pooping except droplets clear; vet found swollen kidneys after xrays. Anyone here experienced with swollen kidneys and an effective help? Bird had a shot of doxy and is on baytril; now i'm syringe-feeding formula with green powder, spirulina, raw honey, some probiotics. Still just wet, brown drops, ~5% solid. Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
kidney problems

This is an older bird - well beyond 10 yrs. He stopped eating so I am giving small amounts of formula 5x+/day with additional superfoods - incl Very Green (Trader Joe's), Spirulina, Quercetin and probiotics mixed in. He's also getting the kidney flush formula in water 3x/day. The Dr. said nothing about diet - this is up to me, the rehabber. He's been on this mix for 4 days now, still very little passing through although less blood is coming out. Trying to heal the swollen kidneys - may take time. He is straining to poop, and I fear he is losing strength (and weight) each day and will be unable to strain to push out the few drops that come. I am trying to keep a status quo equilibrium at this point. I have not seen any posts on kidney issues on this site. This is a very special wonderful bird. ;o(

·
Registered
732 Posts
This is an older bird - well beyond 10 yrs. He stopped eating so I am giving small amounts of formula 5x+/day with additional superfoods - incl Very Green (Trader Joe's), Spirulina, Quercetin and probiotics mixed in. He's also getting the kidney flush formula in water 3x/day. The Dr. said nothing about diet - this is up to me, the rehabber. He's been on this mix for 4 days now, still very little passing through although less blood is coming out. Trying to heal the swollen kidneys - may take time. He is straining to poop, and I fear he is losing strength (and weight) each day and will be unable to strain to push out the few drops that come. I am trying to keep a status quo equilibrium at this point. I have not seen any posts on kidney issues on this site. This is a very special wonderful bird. ;o(
Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in, in the mean time no protein and more fluids.. the problem with anti inflammatory is it is hard on the kidneys.. so no help there.

I would keep him on the warm side his crate on a heat pad .

·
Registered
2 Posts
kidney problems

Thanks, yes, he has a heating pad on half of his crate so he can choose; lots of liquids yes, nothing solid now because he can't process it - yet! This may be a slow recovery - at least today no blood...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.