Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, there are two large pinon trees in my yard and a large hawk that lives in my neighborhood sits in the one to the left and always faces my house. He grabs pigeons and rips them apart with his claws and beak, some of them still alive during the process. The bird does this right in front of my window all the time. When I step outside again, there's blood and feathers scattered all over my yard. I have grown to hate this hawk, but I wish there was something I could do to end this without physically harming the hawk. There is a nest in the pinon tree to the right with a mother that comes to feed her babies but leaves them quite often, and I'm afraid he'll eat the babies and maybe the mother too. Is there anything I can do to help or prevent or should I just leave it alone?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
As long as he is catching birds there, he will probably stick around.
We get a lot of hawk strikes here in the late fall and early winter, as they grab the ferals that come around. Eventually they all but stop coming for the winter. I just chase them out when I see them, but I'm or course not always here. Not much you can do.
Why are there so many birds in your yard? Do you feed them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I usually just shoo him out too, but he always comes back. I don't feed the birds, but I have 9 large trees in my yard, and they do like to nest there quite often. I also have a bird bath in my yard.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Having them nesting there isn't great. Bad enough just having them stopping by for lunch.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
There is a pair of red tails and there are also red shoulders in my area. To protect the fledgling crow when I was raising him and teaching him to fly and getting mom and dad to take him, while trying to release him, I just ran the Hawks off with sprays from a hose. They are hard to deter.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have a squirt gun that shoots like 50 feet of a good blast of water, and I have shot at them with that, which does get them moving, but of course they will be back again. Not too bad around here till fall. That's when they are here every day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try the squirt gun method, but of course I won't always be there to shoo the hawk away. We usually get them in the summer, autumn, and there's the occasional attack in spring. They do go away for the winter, though, but with summer right around the corner, I'm getting nervous.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are a couple of videos on youtube about hawk deterrents and they involve posting reflective things on the outside of the loft like old CDs or mirrors. When a hawk sees its reflection, it heads off in the opposite direction.

I have a Cooper attacking my wire ends and have utilized chain link gates just laying around. I lean them against the ends as protection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get kind of attached to these birds, as I get to know them and I even name them. I don't feed them, though. I cry when I see them die. It's so sad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so I have a little update for you guys. The hawk hasn't come by since I last posted, at least not that I know of (but I would most likely know since there's always feathers). But since then, I've constructed a small birdhouse with a hole small enough so that only very tiny birds could go in (i.e. chickadees, sparrows, etc.), and those birds aren't usually the ones he attacks, it's mostly pigeons and doves. There's also a few seeds in the birdhouse. So that I wasn't worried about but I'd like to hear some input from you guys. Another thing that I forgot to tell you guys about is that I do have a bird bath but sometimes I forget to fill it with fresh clean water so they aren't always there... I'd like to hear about if this could be a problem. I had also set some seeds near the bird bath so the doves and pigeons could have some. Was this a bad idea?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You don't cut large trees down to get rid of a hawk. Besides, there are other trees in the neighborhood, so he wouldn't have to go far. If a hawk is going after birds, then don't feed them. They will go elsewere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Donkey:

The hawk does not live in that tree, so he'll fly away. He sits about 10-15 feet up so obviously I cannot capture him. It's a huge hawk anyway, even if he was low to the ground, there's no way I could capture and transfer it to another area.

@Donkey:

The tree does not belong to me, nor would I want to cut it down even if it did. It's an enormous beautiful tree that is home to many wonderful birds and other animals and it provides shade for my entire backyard, plus there's another one, same size right next to it and I'd have to cut that down too, it'd just be horrible, especially just to get rid of a hawk that would start sitting in another one of my 9 trees sooner or later.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Nothing you can do about it. Just don't look. Unfortunately this is part of nature. We get it here too. Hawks are protected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Roger Siemens:

I really don't want to make this a big problem or get anyone else involved. Jay3 is right, I'll just have to not look.

@Jay3:

I won't look, but then again, there's always the feathers and blood everywhere when he's done that I have to clean up, and I have a vivid imagination that is probably letting me believe that it happened worse than it actually did. Thanks for all the help, you guys here on the forums give great advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have an imagination like that too. And you are probably imagining it just like it did happen. Unfortunately, nothing you can do. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.