Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I'm wondering if king pigeons could be kept by those with flocks of Rollers or Tumblers?

I usually recommend that kings be kept in an aviary and not flown but Rollers & Tumblers stay close to home when flown, right? And their flight "tricks" make them vulnerable to hawks but many make it home- correct?

Please advise me regarding the wisdom of allowing kings to live and fly with Rollers or Tumblers. I've got mated king couples that would most likely be fine living with fancy breeds (probably wouldn't interbreed) and I'm wondering if that might be another source of homes for these lovely kings that will otherwise be euthanized.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think they are too heavy to be let out, they really are or were...ummm clear throat.."meat" type birds not flyers, so I would say no, they are perch potatoes and real charmers... just to add though, you can always let folks know if they have a pair they would make great foster parents to have in the loft.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have some that I think would do fine flying short bits away from home, under supervision. I have a couple that would be too heavy and are too "couch potato-y" and wouldn't bother, likely.

I think that under supervision and obviously, given the choice to fly or stay in the loft, that they would be fine. Especially if they are more active kings and not such couch potatoes. They would probably love to lounge around the yard while the rollers do their thing ;). As long as it is a safe place to lounge.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I had some that flew with the flock and they did great. They were always given the opportunity from the time they were young. At the time, I was new to Pigeons and didn't give it a second thought.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Elizabethy I have the Kings in the same coop with Homers, Rollers and Ferals. At first I separated them but eventually I saw no need and just let them go where they liked. I have opened the outer cage which is about four feet above the floor and let out any who wanted to fly. The kings never even went up on the upper perch boards and nowhere near the open door, they just weren't interested in going out and that was fine with me as I think I would have to guard them constantly if they did go out. Hawks are very rare around here but we have two cats and neighbors have a cat or two so birds on the ground would be in danger, especially any who can't get quickly into the air. The Kings seem happy to remain inside and I'm happy to let them stay there.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think it depends on if the Kings in question are athletic, and the particular situation. So it may be OK, or might be a bad idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts