·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
None of the attachment links are valid.

As for what you have done so far, good start but you should get rid of the chicken wire. Looks like you used heavier-duty grid wire for the shelf...that's the stuff you should use instead of chicken , which is not strong enough for a Pigeon enclosure...

Welcome to the Forum, we look forward to more pics....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Looks great, and whats even better is that you used scrap materials to build it and it turned out awesome!

Only one problem as mentioned is the use of the chicken wire but that is easily fixable :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have plenty of scrap wood and chicken wire and try to limit my time going to home depot or lowes since all these stuff can be found in the back yard..

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
critters can get in with chicken wire..that is why the advice given is pretty important. and what type of wind/draft break do you have for it? looks like a good wind could go right in it ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
summer is coming up and i want my birds to have good ventilation, don't want to box them up in 100 degree heat and let them suffocate..

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
summer is coming up and i want my birds to have good ventilation, don't want to box them up in 100 degree heat and let them suffocate..
It is far from summer and a drafty windy loft is a way to get sick birds. you can build some panels to stop the drafts that you can take off during the summer. and get rid of the chicken wire it will cause you less trouble in the long run.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The thing with the chicken wire is that it sure keeps the birds in, but it also allows critters like Spirit Wings mentioned in as well. I have even seen a hawk tear through the chicken wire while diving. Hungry hawks and hungry cats, along with hungry raccoons will try anything to get at your birds.

To be on the safe side it is best to switch the chicken wire with wire mesh.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a draft. Drafts only occur when there is a temp change, so unless you are going to heat it, I wouldn't worry, what you will have is a nice breeze through it. I would be concerned about rain getting in, you could solve that problem by making the roof extend out, or have covers to put over the wire during bad weather. The wire is the main concern. You built the loft for nothing. I would spend a little on the wire. If you don't your birds will pay for your mistake. We would understand more about the climate your in if you told us where you live.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing with the chicken wire is that it sure keeps the birds in, but it also allows critters like Spirit Wings mentioned in as well. I have even seen a hawk tear through the chicken wire while diving. Hungry hawks and hungry cats, along with hungry raccoons will try anything to get at your birds.

To be on the safe side it is best to switch the chicken wire with wire mesh.
i'm not to worrie bout the chicken wire side i'm gonna move that side up against the wall so it be block where little wind flows through and thats safe enough for me..and as for critters i live in central cali theres no cats or raccoons around my neighbor but there is b.o.p. but they only fly high and once in a blue moon they come around and chase my birds

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
i'm not to worrie bout the chicken wire side i'm gonna move that side up against the wall so it be block where little wind flows through and thats safe enough for me..and as for critters i live in central cali theres no cats or raccoons around my neighbor but there is b.o.p. but they only fly high and once in a blue moon they come around and chase my birds
what can get in chicken wire? mice which can give paratyhoid and snakes which eat eggs and young and sometimes try to eat an adult pigeon, and carry salmonella. they go in at night, if you have birds they will be attracted. (I lost one that was half swallowed by a snake ), so don't be sorry you left it on.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Just an FYI - just because you don't see them doesn't mean that cats, ****, coyote, and others aren't there. Feral cats can be living in your 'hood and not be noticed at all. And if you have garbage cans stored outside with any food in them you probably have the others. It's up to you, but it only takes a few seconds to lose a bunch of birds. Those that are eaten, and those that fly away to keep from getting eaten. IMO, take the extra time to change out the chicken wire!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
This wire is also dangerous. Mice,rats, and snakes can and will get in. Just not worth it. And not fair to the birds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts