Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can ya'll tale me what is a good way to keep feed in a loft here Louisiana? It is Hot, Humid, and rainy too. Oh some times wet cold too.
Yeah the life in the south..........

·
Registered
414 Posts
We use a 35 or 40 gallon plastic garbage can, while Iowa does not have your type of weather we do have a little bit of each you mentioned, anyway we have had no ill effects on our feed, the plasic garbage can keeps it dry and clean.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I keep my feed in a Freezer in the garage--Keeps the weavels and other bugs out. Only
take 5 gal bucket to the loft as needed. At the cost of feed now-a-days an old refrigerator would keep it cool enough.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
How do other flyers keep weavels out of their feed in 100 degrees Temps as we have here in Texas---July/Aug/Sept

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I keep my feed in a Freezer in the garage--Keeps the weavels and other bugs out. Only
take 5 gal bucket to the loft as needed. At the cost of feed now-a-days an old refrigerator would keep it cool enough.
Actually, that's a great idea if you have the refridge or freezer space. Here in New England, I only have insect problems during the hot summer months. I keep the feed outside in a metal barrel, so during the winter months, it IS frozen a good deal of the time. I have done the same with seed, and it does keep the bugs away. Even if you were to put it in a plastic container with tight fitting lid, you can still get bugs, as sometimes the eggs are already in the seed when you buy it. In the plastic container, they will eventually hatch. In the fridge or freezer, they won't.:D

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
We keep ours in metal trash cans, in a building not far from any of our lofts/cages. This building has no solid front, so really all it does it keep the rain from hitting it, haha. We have some smaller cans out beside the young bird loft and the chicken coop so I don't have to walk as far. All three of those aren't protected from the weather other than the lid, which I make sure gets pushed down tight. As long as we keep all of our bins up on bricks so that the air can move under them, the feed stays perfectly dry. If they're set directly on the ground, moisture can build up and spoil the feed. Learned that the hard way.

With the garbage cans, no bugs have seemed to make their way in. But if that ever gets to be a problem, you can add some food grade Diatomaceous Earth to it. It will keep the bugs out and won't hurt the birds at all.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
How do other flyers keep weavels out of their feed in 100 degrees Temps as we have here in Texas---July/Aug/Sept
Ours have taken up living in our old rabbit hutch :rolleyes: So with the birds in there, all their needs are taken care of. Finally replaced the wooden door stops in the cage with nails, so now they have nowhere to live (they were staying in a hole in the doorstop). Now that they're out of the cage, lets hope they don't go trying to get in the feed barrels :rolleyes: Although I don't think they can. Absolutely no room between the lid and the side of the can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts