·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iduna
Breed: Pigeon
Size:

About Iduna
Stuck in a one foot by one foot cage with a teaspoon of food a day? That's no kind of life!

But that's how Iduna lived for eight whole years. He was a test subject at a university, and to him, the whole world was only the size of his cage.

But now, Iduna, the snowy white pigeon is looking for a home where he can really stretch his wings! And they are very pretty wings. He's a very grateful pigeon, and never takes for granted his food, or getting to walk around in an aviary with the ground beneath his feet. Not after what he's been through!

Could Iduna's next stop be a home with people who love him?

http://adoptions.bestfriends.org/Record.aspx?dbid=1014516&Ne=1&N=4294967054

S

·
0 Posts
How sad. That poor bird. :( I hope he gets a great home and fast. At least he's with Best Friends now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A heartbreaking pigeon story ~ and a pigeon in need of a loving home!

Hi everyone!

Haven't been in the forum for a while!

I was just going through some adoptable animals at Best Friends Animal Society (Utah/USA), and came across with a heartbreaking story of a PIGEON ~ in need of a home!

The beautiful male pigeon had lived in a 1 foot by 1 foot cage (!), being fed only 1 teaspoon of food a day. He was a test subject at a university ~ and guess how long he had to suffer in these horrible conditions? Believe it or not; 8 years ~ not weeks or months, YEARS. :(

So, if there's anyone out there who could offer a good loving home to this bird, follow the link below;

http://adoptions.bestfriends.org/Record.aspx?dbid=1014516&Ne=1&N=4294967054

And the rest of you, thanks for reading ~ feel free to comment!

With feathers,
Ippychick & Vivi the pigeon

<- that's the pigeon, named "Iduna".

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
how awful.:mad:.....it makes me sick thinking about him having to endure that. pigeons are smart birds, I think he could of sufferd mental trauma from it.....hope he finds a nice place for the rest of his years....oh yea, If I was there I would take him in a minute.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
It makes me so mad, I feel like I'm going to explode.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Despicable. Poor little guy! He deserves a really special home where he is very, very spoiled. Do we even have any members in Utah??

·
Registered
450 Posts
I really can't understand why people do that, it makes me sick, I know someone that have a bird without giving him that much attention, no cleaning for months she calls him pig, I tried to ask her if she can give to someone else, or even to me, but she keep saying that is her husband bird and he likes him, she is a coworker, of course I can't do that much, but I'm sure that bird is not happy been in the dirty and having fresh food who knows when. :(

Ivette

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I don't even like to leave a bird in quarentine for 2 weeks, 8 yrs of starvation. If any one of us did it peta would come after us for cruilty to animals. That is just wrong.
Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you all! My heart broke when I read about that bird, I couldn't get my head around it ~ no living creature deserves to live like that! And imagine, he couldn't even stretch his wings during those 8 long years... Beyond sad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So .. who knows if this bird can be adopted from afar? Can it be shipped? Does it have to be a local adoption? What's the whole deal here?
No, you don't need to live locally to adopt animals from them ~ I don't know if they could arrange a transportation, but I can ask about it. Where do you live?

I live in Europe, so I can't take him, it's just too long of a trip. But, I'll get back to you about the info asap!

·
Registered
875 Posts
do you have contact for the university he lived at???i want to make feelings VERY clear on this,its unacceptable and cruel and want to write to the university and perhaps make them think twice about using and abusing innocent creatures!!any contact details would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
do you have contact for the university he lived at???i want to make feelings VERY clear on this,its unacceptable and cruel and want to write to the university and perhaps make them think twice about using and abusing innocent creatures!!any contact details would be appreciated thanks
I thought about the same! I'm not sure if it's possible to get the university's name, but perhaps someone at the sanctuary might be able to tell it to us ~ I could e-mail them about it, and also I would like to write to them! It's totally unacceptable what they did, and I hope they don't have any other animals there right now...

If I get any info about the university, I'll let you know!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I will take the the poor guy and pay for box and shipping to Va, If that is a possiblity and if there is not a good home closer. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Spirit wings... YIPPIE... I love it when birds find a home that is as close to heaven as they can get... He will be INCREDIABLY happy with you.

Elizabeth had posted about this lil' one as well see this thread....
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f10/lab-king-pij-looking-for-a-home-in-utah-32568.html

There is a link for Best Friends there. That is the Sanctuary he is located at!

ohhhhh-- and updates... I want updates... I am phsyced for this lil guy! Can't wait to see about the travel arrangments for him... AND WHAT A PLACE for him to GOOOOOO to! Whoo-Ho!:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I emailed them to see which app to fill out and go from there. thanks for the link....If he does end up here, so happens I have a single hen that he may like.....we will see.:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I will take the the poor guy and pay for box and shipping to Va, If that is a possiblity and if there is not a good home closer. :)
Spirit Wings!

Wow, that would be amazing if you could take him in! That just made my day ~ I actually cried yesterday, when I read the story about him...

I hope they write back soon! I also e-mailed them earlier about the shipping etc, but I haven't got a reply yet! I can see they've received it though.

When you get a reply please let us know!!

I live in Europe, so I can't take him ~ otherwise I would've taken him in immediately!

:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh, I didn't know also someone else had posted a thread about Iduna here! That's good!

I read his story last night, and it made me cry! If I lived in USA I'd take him in immediately, but I'm located in Europe right now.

I feel so sorry for that bird ~ I can't even comprehend how those 8 years were for him... But, at least he's been rescued now!

Ps. If you discover the university he was in, please let me know! We wanted to write to them..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts