Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pigeon laid an egg today and I know it be followed by another one. I need to medicate these birds (2birds only) So I am not planning to get babies out of these . I don't have dummy eggs handy, as I read here that other option I have is to boil them and put them back in the nest.

My Question is for how long these boiled eggs be good for before going bad?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You don't have to use real eggs to fool a pigeon. Anything that is small, round and hard will do. I have used round wooden cabinet knobs, tin foil balls with a small stone wrapped inside for weight, large marbles etc. As long as it is about the size of their egg and feels good to sit on, and they can roll it around a bit, it works. Whether you put one dummy egg or two under them, they don't care as long as they have something to sit on.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I once tried the rubberized bouncing balls that I painted white while I was waiting for my dummy eggs. It worked for some and I remember watching one pair pushing it out of the nestbowl then rolled of the shelf and came bouncing all over the floor. My birds must have been shocked to see it bouncing cause they all got quiet suddenly.

I have both the hollow plastic and solid wood dummy eggs and they both don't work all the time. I think whatever you use it should be able to retain some heat like real eggs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for the input, added more to my knowledge here.

Question was that how long boiled eggs will last before going bad?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
depends on the weather, try going to a craft store and see if they have plain wooden eggs smaller than a chicken's egg. usually they have them for crafts. a ping pong ball MAY due in a pinch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts