Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does someone know why the cock only sit on one egg and kick the other aside? What I can do to help them?

Here is the story and I am not sure if I did the right thing that is good for this young family.

I know nothing about pigeons until the cute parents adopted our balcony and laid two eggs 7 days ago.:confused: I tried to keep them in the wild without too much human interferences. So, no food no drinks. Well, there is a river next to my building that I believe they are able to manage it easily. All I did just rearranged the flower pots and put bunches of pine needles next to their eggs and let them build their nest by themselves. Sometimes I help them kick away ravens and give them signals to come back. It works:eek:

But today the male is not sitting on both eggs as usual:( I heard that the eggs didn't get sit for 2 hours and the chances of dying is really high. I don't what to do now.

btw, the outside temp is 32~37C now and will drop to 26 at night.

updated: I used two twigs like a pair of chopsticks to put the egg back into the nest. sighing* I think the clumsy daddy couldn't take the egg back while making the nest edge to high.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
You did just fine. Just let the parents do the rest I guess. Yes that does sound cold but if they have enough cover from the wind and cold everything should be fine. Time will tell if both eggs hatch or not. Keep us posted how things turn out. :D

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi lincong. Welcome to PT:)
Thanks for showing interest in pigeons and helping them out.
So it was about shape of the nest that one egg slided down. A nest is of a bowl shape so eggs stay in centre. You may offer them more twigs to let them renovate their nest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for letting me know I did the right thing to these cuties. whew...what a relief:) Everything's settled and they finally rushed to finish the nest right before the rainstorm yesterday. The only trouble for now is the nest is too good to be taken over by other pigeons.:p

I will keep things updating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Two babies are born today that they are very healthy lol.
I wish I could have some pictures of the sweet moment on the squabs but as long as I was holding a camera the parents were alerted and gave me the grumpy cat face.:D
Daddy

Mommy

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They are precious. But I would stay away now, or the parents might abandon the nest.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Thanks for caring little cuties. You would love to see them growing up :)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Congrats lincong! I'm sure you're excited as its your first time experience.
Thanks for posting pics. They're soooo cute!
Enjoy them but from a distance:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys:) I will keep in mind that following the rules of no bugging. Now I setup the hidden camera far away with small lens, which they feel comfortable. ;) And I can enjoy watching the babies growing up.:cool:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Thank you guys:) I will keep in mind that following the rules of no bugging. Now I setup the hidden camera far away with small lens, which they feel comfortable. ;) And I can enjoy watching the babies growing up.:cool:
LOL. Great idea!!! Spying :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts