Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I found this pigeon outside, and it has this nasty looking injury on its chest. I initially thought it was some kind of gaping hole, but when I got a closer look, it didn’t appear to be as deep as I thought (though I might not be 100%). I called the RSPCA, but they’re only taking calls for absolute emergencies, and the pigeon was still able to walk, fly, and feed.
Ideally, I’d have liked to look after it while I found some place that was able to take it in and treat it, but I wasn’t allowed to by the people I was out with at the time.
I’m hoping to go back there as soon as I can, and take it somewhere to get help - in the meantime, could anyone tell me if they know what the problem could be? Sorry, I wasn’t able to get any better pictures.
Thanks so much!
Bird Beak Plant Branch Road surface
Bird Plant Road surface Asphalt Beak

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Would call the pigeon rescue group, not the RSPCA. I have read here that RSPCA just euthanizes pigeons while the pigeon and dove rescue will treat them. Looks like a wound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would call the pigeon rescue group, not the RSPCA. I have read here that RSPCA just euthanizes pigeons while the pigeon and dove rescue will treat them. Looks like a wound.
Oh I had no idea, thank you for letting me know! Good thing I couldn’t get through then… There’s no specific pigeon rescue near me, but I’ve called a wildlife centre with very good reputation, and they should be able to help.

Please go back and catch him and then take it from there. That wound might affect his flying later on. Please post again once you have him.
It’s evening now so they’ll be roosting, and I don’t get back from college tomorrow until 6pm. :( I’m hoping to go Saturday morning, which is unfortunately the earliest I can go when the pigeons will still be around. The wildlife rescue group I talked to told me to call them when I get there, and they’ll send someone over. I wish I had been allowed to take him back, but I hope he’ll be alright until then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so - I’ve been to the gardens a few times since and looked for the pigeon, but didn’t see him until today… and I’m happy to say he’s looking much better! I was originally going to call the rescue place again once I caught him, but when I took a look, whatever injury he had seems to be healing really well? He’s strutting around and flying without a care, and the feathers are growing back, so I decided to leave him be for now, though I’ll check on him regularly :D

Gesture Fish Wildlife biologist Grass Soil
Hand Bird Vertebrate Organism Finger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts