Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have kept a shallow mud pot with sand and a bit of straw, to be used as resting spot for my post-PMV girl Rudy. Since last week, Rudy hardly ever leaves this nest, and when I lift her into my lap, she gives a big smelly poop!

Last month, she had exhibited the same behaviour following a few meetings with a male pigeon from outside. I had waiting anxiously for an egg to be laid, but there was nothing. The poops were also large at that time, but they weren't smelly.

What bothers me now is the smell. It is so strong and sourish I cannot stand it while I clean it up. Is this type of poop normal for pigeons that sit for long periods?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yes, it is normal for them to be huge and smell. I have given my hens a 1/4 of a human serving of alfalfa tablets at times, it contains chlorophyll which really cleaned up the smell and contains other health benefits.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
That is interesting about the alfalfa tablet, I have seen alfalfa pellets for rabbits that have Yucca-Schidigera in them for stool odor.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Its a relief its normal. I haven't heard of alfa-alfa, will search for it.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Kunju......its a normal phenomenon,once the adult bird starts making nest,they usually sit in the nest box majority of the time and they poop all the poop stored in the gut in one go....Which may look like long big cat poop .Nothing to worry....Dont get surprised if she even lays an egg soon :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts