Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I still have plenty of snow. Being in under trees, and surrounded by trees, I'll be watching this stuff melt uptil the end of May, first of June, this year.
Sightings this week, a beautiful pileated Woodpecker. These birds are so big, so beautiful, with the eeriest call.
Also saw 2 V's of canadian geese headed north. I've also had tons of robins all winter long.
Daryl

·
Registered
754 Posts
signs of spring

Here in lower Michigan the last of the snow piles are gone for now but one never knows. I to am seeing all the birds returning and it sure is a pleasant site, I have been watching them returning for about two weeks now and seen my first robins last week. Although many birds have returned I wait for the return of my favorite plover the killdeer, I know when they arrive it's time to cut grass again lol.
Three days ago I was out cleaning branches on the fence row when I heard what I thought was more Canadian geese coming in and when I looked up to see what the fuse I was totally shocked, it was v after v of trumpeter swans which I have never seen returning just leaving in the fall. I know for sure now, I am going to get the shutter fixed on my old 35mm that I already have a wide angle zoom lenses for, at least I have the picture in my mind it was really something to see >Kevin

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thursday morning on my way to work there was the BIGGEST Tom Turkey strutting around in the MIDDLE of the road :eek:
It was really funny because from a distance (before I realized what it was) it looked like a large black garbage bag "floating" around in the wind in the road.
He kept opening his fantail up and strutting then lowering it - he was obviously doing the "mating dance" - But, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD? :eek:

·
Registered
754 Posts
turkeys

Thursday morning on my way to work there was the BIGGEST Tom Turkey strutting around in the MIDDLE of the road :eek:
It was really funny because from a distance (before I realized what it was) it looked like a large black garbage bag "floating" around in the wind in the road.
He kept opening his fantail up and strutting then lowering it - he was obviously doing the "mating dance" - But, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD? :eek:
I had to laugh, the first time I seen a Tom turky in the wild I was walking a trail on state land looking for moral mushrooms when I seen it out of the corner of my eye, I froze, for a second I thought it was a black bear cub Phew it was just Tom all puffed, what a beautifull bird

·
Registered
822 Posts
WOW!! COOL!! Neat site, altgirl35!!!!

As for turkeys...we have a flock of 35 who live here. Sometimes they're all together...sometimes they're marching in a line across the field (do you know how far 35 trukeys can stretch out ???:eek:) and ... sometimes, we see singletons .... looking like Pattersonk2002's black bear cubs!! But ALWAYS we can hear them!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey Lucky T
It was summer yesterday! God... don't tease me.You saw butterflie's already?I've seen a few hornet's and flie's. My blue bell's are up, and my gooseberry bush has sprout's.It's this time of the year I have to remind myself,patience.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I had my Miata out this weekend - - - TOP DOWN! - - - that's a sure sign of summer coming:D
Hey - your not that far from me, and the wind chill was like.........10 today?
And I went to Walmart in Epping yesterday ---- snow squalls all the way down and back. BUT, the sun was out!!
:eek:

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Well, we got out the hummingbird feeder this week and cleaned it and put it up in the gazebo, not really expecting to see any until a few weeks from now. BUT, we looked out the window this morning and there was a sweet little female drinking. Don't know if she was just passing through but it was a thrill for us and grateful we had food out for her.

Kevin, how lucky you are to have seen the trumpeteer swans. I just can't imagine how beautiful that was. We have many canadas that go back and forth over our yard in the morning and night and they make a wonderful sight. I have also been lucky enough to see crows migrating in the fall - just hundreds of them stopping to rest in our neighborhood. They are so noisy you can hardly hear yourself talk.

I would love to see a picture of the turkeys walking across the field.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well, we got out the hummingbird feeder this week and cleaned it and put it up in the gazebo, not really expecting to see any until a few weeks from now. BUT, we looked out the window this morning and there was a sweet little female drinking. Don't know if she was just passing through but it was a thrill for us and grateful we had food out for her.
We plan to put ours up this week too. I just love hummers.......

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
We commonly see rufous hummers here pretty much year 'round. Usually their back color is only vaguely copper. Yesterday, a bird was at the kitchen feeder that was shiny, glowing copper! His throat color almost hurt your eyes - even his belly was a light copper (but matte). I'm guessing this is a male! :D I've tried several times to get a picture, but he's always zipping off the chase away another bird. ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts