Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i put up a new loft right in my back yard, and not even 24 hours later this guy in a uniform comes to my loft asking me if i have a permit for the pigeons. I tell him no, and he tells me i have to get rid of them by tuesday. He said that a neighbor had called and complained. What should i do? They are not even bothering anyone because i dont even fly them. Any ideas?>

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
So i put up a new loft right in my back yard, and not even 24 hours later this guy in a uniform comes to my loft asking me if i have a permit for the pigeons. I tell him no, and he tells me i have to get rid of them by tuesday. He said that a neighbor had called and complained. What should i do? They are not even bothering anyone because i dont even fly them. Any ideas?>
Did you check to see if it was ok to put up a loft? What do your local ordinances say?
There's always a bit of controversy on this, but IMO, you should NOT just put up a loft and get birds just because you want to. You need to check to make sure it's legal to do so BEFORE you do it.
Do I like the idea that big government can tell me what I can and can't do in my own back yard? Of course I don't, BUT, that's the way it is and until it's changed, that's the way it will be and when this scenario happens, guess who suffers? The pigeons..........
Best be checking the local laws and see if you have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Where do you live? I can help you look up restrictions and the permit process. My advice is to get as big of cage you can afford and bring them inside until you get the permit. In my neighborhood I went to each neighbor before I built my coop and asked them how they felt about me building one. I told them that if at anytime they see poop in thier yard or house I would clean it up for them. I got lucky because everyone was really nice and said they love the sound of my pigeons.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Here's what I found without looking too hard......

http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isap...nfobase=ha0182.nfo&softpage=Browse_Frame_Pg42

§ 89-16. Permit required.

No person shall keep or maintain any live animals or live poultry within the borough without first having secured a written permit therefor from the Board of Health, granted by said Board at one of its regular meetings.

§ 89-17. Application for permit.

Any person desiring to keep or maintain any live animals or live poultry within the borough shall, before keeping or maintaining the same, make written application to the Board of Health, setting forth therein what kind of live animals or live poultry the applicant desires to keep or maintain, the location and kind of enclosure in which the same are proposed to be kept or maintained, the approximate maximum number which the applicant is likely to keep and maintain and that, in the event a permit therefor is granted, he will not keep or maintain a greater number than the maximum which may be allowed by said permit.

§ 89-18. Expiration of permit; fee. EN

Any permit granted pursuant to this Article shall expire on the 31st day of December in each year and, provided that said person shall continue to meet the full requirements of this Article, shall be renewed annually. A fee as provided in Chapter 95, Fees, shall be paid for each such permit issued or for any renewal thereof. Every such permit or any renewal thereof may be revoked by said Board of Health for any violation of this Article, which may be in addition to the imposition of any other penalty herein provided.

§ 89-19. Housing.

No live animals or live poultry shall be kept or maintained in any dwelling house or any part thereof or in any tenement house or in any part thereof or in any building occupied or capable of being occupied by human beings or be allowed to run at large, but the same shall be housed in proper structures suitable for the kind of live animals or live poultry being kept or maintained and enclosed in runways. Said structures and runways shall at all times be kept in a thoroughly clean and sanitary condition and be inoffensively and unobjectionably maintained. No part of any structure or runway shall be nearer than seventy-five (75) feet to any building, occupied or unoccupied by human beings, or any church, school or public building.

§ 89-20. Applicability.

The provisions of § 89-19 of this Article with respect to the location of structures and runways shall not apply to marketmen or persons dealing in live poultry, but in every such case a special permit shall be required, which permit shall be granted under such restrictions and conditions as the Board of Health may deem necessary for the public health.

§ 89-21. Nuisances.

No permit shall be issued for the keeping or maintaining of live animals or live poultry in any place where the same would be or constitute a nuisance to any person residing in the vicinity of the place where such live animals or live poultry are to be kept or maintained.

§ 89-22. Issuance of permit.

All permits shall be issued by the Clerk of the Board of Health after approval thereof by said Board, as aforesaid, and shall specify the place where and the maximum number of live animals or live poultry that may be kept or maintained thereon.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think Alb23m is in New Jersey...Not sure what part though...

Do you consider homing pigeons poultry?, nuisance or just pet...This is something that's playing in my head everytime I read about having birds as a ______ (pet, hobby...etc)...:confused:

Well, let me share with you something I did way before I built my loft and started my flock...I worked around my neighbors houses for 4 years...I helped them fix something inside their homes, backyard, roof, or maybe drive them to their destination once in a while (if I see them walking)...I'm not doing all that because I know I will or want to have some pigeons, but it happens that my nature way pays off by helping them when I moved in...I'm not saying for you to go do what I do, but we're in different area...I have asked 2 home owners to my left and 2 home owners to my right...Across the street, is my buddy, so he don't care about my hobby... and the backyard home owners are not against animals of any kind, so I continued and finished it...Then the 1st pigeon came in my backyard and that's how it started...They were so fascinated with what I'm building, so I told them, then I asked them if they have anything against pigeons...They said "no"...That's the end of it...

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I think Alb23m is in New Jersey...Not sure what part though...

Do you consider homing pigeons poultry?, nuisance or just pet...This is something that's playing in my head everytime I read about having birds as a ______ (pet, hobby...etc)...:confused:

Well let me share you something I did way before I build my loft and started my flock...I worked around my neighbors houses for 4 years...I helped them fix something inside their homes, backyard, roof, or maybe drive them to their destination (once in a while) if I see them walking...I'm not doing all those because I know I will or want to have some pigeons but it happens that my nature way pays off by helping them when I moved in...I'm not saying for you to do what I do but we're in different area...I did asked 2 home owners on my left and 2 home owners on my right...Across the street is my buddy so he don't care about my hobby and the backyard home owners is not against animals of any kind so I continue and finished it...Then the 1st pigeon came in my backyard and that's how it started...They were so fascinated what am I building so I told them, then asked them if they have anything against pigeons...They said "no"...That's the end of it...

Oliver, doesn't really matter...........the ordinance for this persons area says "animals OR poultry"......regardless of how pigeons are classified.......they ARE animals, period. No getting around that one. ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i called my town up Hawthorne NJ, i explained to them that the new coop, is a better version of what i already had, and that i already had pigeons before. they said that they would call me back.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
well i called my town up Hawthorne NJ, i explained to them that the new coop, is a better version of what i already had, and that i already had pigeons before. they said that they would call me back.
I hope for your sake AND the birds, that they'll let you slide..........but if your neighbor is complaining, whether it's a legit complaint or not.........he/she/they could cause you trouble and win in the long run.
Good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i also have the pigeon club to tell them that i already belong to them and they said to give every members phone number if i had to, so it can be proof that i had birds before and i didnt just get them.
Also my neighbors are cool, but i think the one that complained are the neighbors 2 houses down.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well input Renee, thanks for the 411...I was in total confusion about it...Oh, I miss talking to you too ;)...

Alb23m, if you belong or are a member of a club, maybe they can tell you about the ordinance or your rights about having some pigeons or if you're able to keep pigeons or not...I agree with Renee...No matter if you are able to build or not, if you have a/some neighbor(s) who are against pigeons around, that will be an issue that you will encounter later on...Do you have a big backyard that you can build a small coop/loft? Not trying to shove this but regardless of big backyard or small if you have a G:mad::mad:D neighbor like what you have now, it's a problem...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, if they say i cant keep them, i will build a really small coupe over the side of the house and only fly maybe 10-15 birds, without the naighbors seeing them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just an FYI -

Written in any code and ordinance is this little demon sentance that says:

If any person complains or notifies the city that it is a nuisance to them they will revoke your right to keep ANY animal that is declared a nuisance.

And it is that reason I give my neighbors free eggs from my quiet almost non-quacking ducks and offer them free pigeon flights for thier parties. Make no mistake....I bend over backwards for my neighbors because I care more about my hobby/side business than anything else. Because I know that at any given time they could ruin my fun for any reason and at any time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ok I have a question. How would one go about finding out what laws/regulations are present in the county that they live in? :confused: I live in Contra Costa County California by the way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just curious, how do you intend on doing that?

Cindy
well i had them for around 6-8 months in the smaller coop and no one complained or knew they didnt see them, now that i built the new bigger one they can be seen right in he back yard from neighbors.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts