Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a question about laying eggs. My hen layed her first egg about 2 days ago but she doesnt take care of it. Why? Last time she layed her first egg she did samething and only started to sit on the eggs after she layed her second egg. Is it supposed to be like that? becasue last time one egg got rotten and after 20 days they stoped to sit on the second egg when i broke the egg there was a dead baby.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Some pairs do and some do not. The fact that there was a dead embryo in the egg has nothing to do with when or how they sit. Something else caused it's death, others will give you ideas on why that probably happened.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
They usually sit after the second one is layed, that is normal. as far as the dead baby, that is not normal and they should be checked or a fecal check done by the vet, explaining the situation he would know what to test for, they may be carrying a disease.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'v had this happen to me many times. My opinion is that they know the egg is either not fertle or is dead. Now im not sure but my pigeons push the eggs off and they fall and break on the bottem of the floor. Usually i see just yolk, no embryo. (almost like a chicken egg ready to cook) then after that the pigeons get right back to breeding. Have you seen the pigeons mate? are they mating correctly?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they stopped sitting after 20 days, they give up at that point and start over,That is what they are suposed to do, everything seems to be in order with the pigeons and their routine, but not the babies being dead in the shell, that is not normal and needs treatment of the adults.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'v had this happen to me many times. My opinion is that they know the egg is either not fertle or is dead. Now im not sure but my pigeons push the eggs off and they fall and break on the bottem of the floor. Usually i see just yolk, no embryo. (almost like a chicken egg ready to cook) then after that the pigeons get right back to breeding. Have you seen the pigeons mate? are they mating correctly?[/QUOT

yea i ve seen how they mate but what u mean by mating correctly?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe they are just young and they dont have experience how to sit on eggs. Hoperfully this time it wont happen. Can hot weather cause embryo to die? because i live in tucson and the temperature here gets to 115-120.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Do your birds have access to water for bathing? Moisture can make a difference with the eggs, so I've read here on the site.

However, I agree that the parents should be checked. Sounds like something else is happening.

Woe and Gimie's egg are always (well, so far, "never say never!" :rolleyes:) non-fertile, but that's because of Gimie's badly healed broken leg.

Hope you can find an answer...please keep us updated...

All the best

Shi :)

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
hey mr squeaks i see u live near me. What kind birds u have?
Actually, Aslan1, I live about 100 miles away....but, as the crow flies...;) :)

I live in an apartment and in 2003 found a racing homing pigeon with a badly broken wing. So bad, in fact, that half the wing had to be amputated! That's MR. Squeaks (so named because he was a squeaker when found and had such an attitude!!)

He chose me as his mate and I thought he would be my only pij as I also had 4 cats at the time.

Due to a strange set of circumstances and a pij problem across town, I ended up with 2 non-releaseable rescues: Dom & Gimie.

I took WoeBeGone, a West of England Tumbler from a rehabber to see about finding her owner and ended up keeping her (the owner didn't want her back).

Finally, there is Rae Charles, a blind pij who belonged to one of our members, Cindy (AZWhitefeather), who is no longer able to keep her.

As you can see, all mine are indoor birds.

Just released my latest rehab, JoJoe Feathered Feet and a few days before that, VAL, who had to grow back some missing right wing flight feathers.

Love and Hugs
Shi :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mating correctly, for instince when they mount eachother the bird is acutally forsure fertilizing the eggs...If you know what i mean. (shooting "sperm")

1 - 12 of 12 Posts