Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I made plans to see my mom from Friday noon until around 8pm on Saturday...
but I totally forgot that I have a pigeon now, and have to plan around her.
I live in a very small room, and her cage is a little over 2.5 by 1 foot and around 3 feet in height.

Do you think it is okay to leave her in there for that long? I always have two water dishes and her favorite toys in there, as well as a large bowl of food. She usually spends most of her time outside of her cage sitting on the tops of doors or next to/on me. Heck, she even sleeps next to me on my pillow a couple times per week now.

Also, I was thinking in the future of taking her on the bus. Is this okay? I have PGWear and 2 leashes which I use for taking her on walks outside, but was thinking of getting a carrying case or cage for her so she doesn't get scared or smashed accidentally. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are those small bags for dogs good?

I don't have a driver's license, car, or like driving.

This is my first pet pigeon, so advice is really welcome. Thank you so much! :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi,

I'm Ivette and I also live in SF, right now I have 7 pigeons inside my house, I'm looking for a nice home for 5 of them, but the other 2 are going to be release soon, actually one of them I'm planning to release it this week, I can try to release him tomorrow, and that way I can have a room to put your cage in my living room, believe me is not a spot in the whole living room right now since I'm full with birds, but since you need basically a house just for a few days I can take care of Calina, I let my birds fly inside the house, except the ones that are injured, I also have a blanket in my bed for my older pigeon, he likes to make noise very early morning, so that is when I wake up and take him to my bed, he loves that, I think that is the reason that make the noise to make sure that I wake up and take him with me. :)

So, if you want to ask about me, Jaye, Charis Elizabeth or Cheryl can tell you about me, believe me, I love animals and my pigeons are my kids, just let me know how far you live, and I can pick her up, I drive so that way she won't stay in the cage and alone during the time that you are with your mom. send me an email and I'll give you more information about where I live of couse I'll need your info too. Please Let me know.

Ivette

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
usually people make arrangements for someone to come by and check on their pets or board them at a boarding facility/vet office that can house birds.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi again, I just want to let you know that I won't be able to release my bird tomorrow, he started loosing his balance, he had very bad strings in both feet, but one still gives him problems and I need to keep him for a longer time now, until I figured what is the problem.

I'm sure you will find a good solution here.

Ivette

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It is only a day. There should be no problem if food and water is in there and the bird is not sick. Let me put it in this way, shipping birds is way more cramp and uncomfortable in the shipping box and still reach their destination after couple of days in the box.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
She'll be OK...it's more than 24 hours, it would be optimal if someone can stop in on her....but....it's not absolutely necessary. BTW...cage sounds a bit narrow in that 12" dimension...that's not much for a Feral.

I am not sure what the deal is with buses. I see folks around town with Parrots on buses occasionally...the drivers make nothing of it. I'd imagine if she is on a leash and you are holding her or she is on your shoulder, it'd be OK. Might wanna call the SJ transit authority (or whatever they call it down there) and ask....

·
Registered
466 Posts
I know that I can't take a small dog on a bus or train, so you might want to check on the pet policy of the bus. Having a friend check in seems the best plan. I took my two pigeons on a road trip (20 hours each way) with a hotel stay each way as well. I got a medium size dog crate and they did great. That was in a car though. I travel with my small dog all the time by plane and he does great in his doggy bag. The first one I got was too soft and would collapse too easily on top of my dog, so I had to buy one with more structure. As for the birds on their road trip, they did coo and make some noise along the way, so I doubt you could keep her a secret if the policy is no pets at all.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts