Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Leg catching- Can't walk properly

The bird is 3 weeks old, I've just noticed it today.
When it walks its left leg gets caught and it can't move it all the way forward, when I look at it closely, it looks like the top leg joint catches on the most outer rib. I'm not too sure how to explain it, I can fix it temporarily (until it moves it's leg back again) by pulling the leg forward but I can feel it catching on something else.

It's quite hard to explain, I'll not have my camera until Friday so I can only try to explain. Since the bird is still growing would it be possible to strap it in place? Or would that just cause more problems?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok- this is now critical, the chick is on the verge of death and I'm in a panic because I don't know what to do!
His breathing is laboured and he is cold, I've got him on a heat pad and am trying to comfort him but I need to do something or else I'm afraid he's going to go- Please help!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Becca, if he is gasping and breathing with difficulty, then the most important thing is to get his body temp up to par and just keep it very quiet. Don't try at this moment to feed or water or medicate. Perhaps if you could sit at a table or desk (with the baby in front of you) on the heat and a towel tent over him to keep the heat on him until he warms up.... and softly hum to him so he knows you are there. Just wait for the warmth to revive him.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Nona- he is warm now but still very weak, I offered him water before I read your post and he took it gratefully but it more or less went straight through him and came out the other side as water. He is very thin, I think he may be starving. When will it be safe to feed him?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes, now that he is very warm, you may try to give him some very thin baby bird formula. Try pdpbisons method with the shot glass ... see if he will suck up some nourishment. Don't over do it... just like a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon full at a time and give him time to digest it. It is better to feed him a bit every half hour than to fill him up,

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again- I've given him a tiny bit of formula.
Yes, I will fix his leg when the time is better.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Becca, if you could make the formula with rehydrating solution...... you know a half teaspoon of honey, or glucose, or sugar and a good pinch of salt in a cup of warm water, just for the first few feedings until he is responding better.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will do thank you Nona

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm very pleased your around to help. I just gave him a second sip of formula with salt and sugar. He is more or less back to his normal self, a bit more squeak and a bit more wriggle and we're almost there. I can't believe how good he looks after the state he was in a few hours ago.

Nona- you are BRILLIANT!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:confused: I know it's not my birthday on the 16th November! Whose is it?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's YOUR birthday on 16th November! :p

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah, every now and then we have to put a tub over my head so the sun can shine. :D :D You did good Becca... just never panic and take it slow and sure. You can stop the sugar & salt after he looks normal but continue the small feedings for at least the next 12 hours. Then slowly increase so you fill him normally after the crop empties.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol Nona :D:D Looks like I'll be sharing my room tonight :p

·
Registered
892 Posts
Good Girl, slow and easy.....keep her warm until she is reasonably fat & sassy. Don't make her use her own resources to keep up her body temp. Guess you're getting on to bedtime. Have a good rest but keep an ear on the baby.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Becca, I'm so glad things are improving. Like Nona has said, keep it warm and comfy. Has it pooped since it has eaten a bit?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes it has pooped a whole lot :D It gulped down it's last feeding and seems to be back to normal.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It's tempting to let them eat their fill but that would do more harm than good so keep feeding often but a spoonfull at a time. Be sure to let him drink if he wants but again not too much, don't over fill. What do the poops looks like??? Good ???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts