Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rescued a juvenile Wood pigeon 5 weeks ago , without my treatment for canker , chlamydia and overall immune system support to fight Pox this little one would not have made it . I have bonded quite well to her.

The major lesions (pox) on the chest and body have fallen off , with only a few left .

Canker is gone after harkers treatment.

My main problem is the feet , as she cant walk very well and that her fingers are starting to fall off ...(one has literally fallen off at the time of writing , I have cornflower and iodine on hand) ,

The bleeding has stopped and I will send a picture of the mummified finger.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Were there any pox lesions on the toes as well? If so, that's probably what's causing the toes to fall off. Poor baby. Is she walking funny because of the missing toes or has she been doing that since you got her? She might have a calcium deficiency. Try to get liquid calcium with added Vit D3 and a general vitamin supplement for birds. She will adapt to living with a few missing toes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes There were plenty of pox lesions on the toes. It used to be a mixture of yellow ,orange and black colouring but now has settled to mostly pink with tips going black.
when we found her, she was barely able to move , now she has built a lot more strength . (I do have this calcium)

The way in which she walks is as if on the "knees" not using the lower part.

Wow , just now another large pox lesion has fallen off .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am right now on a doxycyclin antibiotics (6 days so far) , I am not allowed to use calcium whilst on the medication .
Should I go straight to calcium or carry on with the chlamydia treatment?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Rather stick to the doxy treatment. Calcium won't help her toes. She might lose more, but pigeons adapt so easily. She will learn to cope with missing toes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The treatment is 30 days for chlamydia
7 days for salmonella
Should i go on for that long?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the UK especially London, we have very few avian vets who help pigeons especially wild pigeons . Sadly I have been rejected many times by veterinary clinics , that is why I have resorted in treating the pigeon all by myself . I feel I have been rather successful in previous treatment .

I am unable to give the pigeon to any non profit organisations as all they will do is take her away and put her down .
After 1 month and 2 weeks of constant positive progress I am definitely not willing to give up so fast.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I agree, a pigeon with pox will be put down as this is so highly contageous. I'm just worried as antibiotics will weaken him, one should only give antibiotics when really necessary when they have pox. Is he getting an anti-fungal like Nystatin to prevent yeast? Are you giving him probiotics and vitamins? Is he eating by himself or are you handfeeding? After 6 weeks the worst is over, the lesions are dropping off so you have done a good job with him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do not have Nystatin , but I do have probiotics . She is eating by herself .
Any signs / symptoms that she has yeast infection?SheI cant take probiotics while she is taking antibiotics .

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Yeast can affect their whole digestive system. If she starts eating less and there's a change in the droppings, then you will know something is wrong. Yeast inside the mouth and throat will show as small whitish spots. When the crop gets affected, she will develop slow crop. Food eaten the previous evening will still be in the crop the next morning. Vomiting, undigested seeds in the droppings, bubbly (gassy) droppings, a water filled crop are other symptoms. Lets hope it does not happen to your baby. Let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The symptoms you have describe are not present in her , but if I do see those symptoms could I use nystatin and doxycyclin at the same time ?
Other than that, the mouth is clear of any small white dots and she is very alert and want's to walk around (Of course with difficulty)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Yes you can use both together. Nystatin does not get absorbed into the body, it needs to come into contact with the yeast to kill it. Also works best on an empty crop. So one would give first thing in the morning, wait half an hour and then put down food. Same again in the evening. Dosage will be 30 000 units per 100 gr birdweight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should I order nystatin for humans and dose for her , or should I search directly for bird only nystatin?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
You can get Nystatin from your pharmacy. The strength is usually 100 000 per 1 ml, you can just check on the label to make sure. For a pigeon that weighs 200 gr, you will need to give 0.6 ml twice a day. That will be 60 000 units.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do have a dilemma as I want to start the process of strengthening the legs but in the same time , the problem with the eye is quite concerning . Should I start focusing on the legs more ? and do you think the eye will get better on its own?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts