Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
My pigeon rehabber friend in the UK told me that ferals lose toes all the time, and so long as they have a stump they will be fine. Apparently not many pain receptors in the feet of blood... so from my experience with Xena, once she got past the illness (pox, worms and salmonella) she didn’t need help with her legs, she just knew what to do! Although the last week before she could stand again I was stretching her legs often because hers were facing forward. Does your baby stand up? Grip?

I’m sure Marina has some good advice for you, (she’s awesome!) I’m following along!

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can get Nystatin from your pharmacy. The strength is usually 100 000 per 1 ml, you can just check on the label to make sure. For a pigeon that weighs 200 gr, you will need to give 0.6 ml twice a day. That will be 60 000 units.
Ps. I just ordered Nystatin from amazon in the UK so I’m sure you can get it too.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Was her whole eye covered by pox? If so, she is probably blind in that eye. I doubt the doxy will help. I would rather start giving her vitamins and calcium and probiotics to help with the healing. She will also be unreleasable. Have you read the thread "Baby Snuggles and her Pox?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The beak had been covered by lesions ,one prominent one was wrapped around the tip of the beak . Today the most stubborn pox on the beak had fallen off , it had taken part of the beak itself with it .
She is right now unable to eat any food by herself because of the exposure of the immature beak . It is most likely painful when she tries to pick food up . (I have ordered nystatin)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have decided that i'll be stopping the doxycyclin , as of Marina's advice and will start the healing process .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Was her whole eye covered by pox? If so, she is probably blind in that eye. I doubt the doxy will help. I would rather start giving her vitamins and calcium and probiotics to help with the healing. She will also be unreleasable. Have you read the thread "Baby Snuggles and her Pox?
Yes the eye was fully covered . I understand that she will be living with me and I will do my best to support and care for her needs .
(I have read Xena's story you did a great job in helping Joeyspesh)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My pigeon rehabber friend in the UK told me that ferals lose toes all the time, and so long as they have a stump they will be fine. Apparently not many pain receptors in the feet of blood... so from my experience with Xena, once she got past the illness (pox, worms and salmonella) she didn’t need help with her legs, she just knew what to do! Although the last week before she could stand again I was stretching her legs often because hers were facing forward. Does your baby stand up? Grip?

I’m sure Marina has some good advice for you, (she’s awesome!) I’m following along!
I would not say that she is able to stand up but more crawl around , she isn't able to grip at all sadly .
Glad your following along !

·
Registered
160 Posts
Both of Xenas eyes were covered with pox and only one was blind - my vet prescribed antibiotic drops and it cleared it up within 5 days! The eye that is blind looks almost like a mirror, is that what hers is like?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Poor baby. You can handfeed her defrosted green peas, try to aim for 40 peas 3 times a day. Has lots of moisture, so don't be worried if she is not keen on drinking water. You can also put her seed in a deep dish, she might manage to scoop up the seeds and then swallow them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Forgot to mention that she is able to eat well no drama and drinking is normal . (I was kind of freaking out a bit when she was reluctant to eat, but she has eaten quite a lot now so all well)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
She has lost another toe , this time its a bit more bloody . As usual i have put cornflower and iodine .

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Poor thing! She will learn to cope. With pox there are much worse things that could have happened to her. Be grateful she is still alive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Every day I am grateful , yet extremely worried at the same time .
I have been giving Calcium and probiotics to make her stronger . Lets hope the nystatin come soon !

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
You can also add apple cider vinegar to her drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Put this down as her drinking water for the day. You can give this twice a week from now on. It helps with digestion and to keep the good gut bacteria in place. It's always good to have Nystatin just for in case. If she is doing well, then no need to give.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi!
the ones that were strong enough to help had to be prescribed from a vet - I’ll look to see if I can find what she had. I know the UK needs prescriptions too because the rehabber I get help from couldn’t get it either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just an update!
I do have the nystatin but i'm not sure if I should put it in the probiotic solution or administer it by itself .

21 - 40 of 44 Posts