Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I rescued this pigeon from cats outsidr and hes been living inhome for a few weeks now. Ive read in some forum it can be fed with defrosted corn and peas and he managed to eat them on their own from my hand already. But refuses to eat seeds. Just picks them with his beak and throws all over the cage. 1. How do I teach him to eat seeds. 2. At what stage he can be released back to the wild. He still squeeks like a baby pigeon but today been making more deep voice noises. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Feed him some crumbled hard-boiled egg to ensure that he is getting all the various vitamins and minerals needed for development. To teach him to eat seeds, try flax seed or sunflower seed kernels (out-of-the-shell), and tap at the seeds with a fingertip to get him to peck at them.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Leave the peas in a bowl for him and add some small seeds. It will take time, but he will eventually start eating seeds by himself. Also leave a large flat dish of water with him. They love to bath and sometimes start drinking at the same time.

He will of course be unreleasable. One can't just raise them and expect them to survive out there without the necessary skills.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feed him some crumbled hard-boiled egg to ensure that he is getting all the various vitamins and minerals needed for development. To teach him to eat seeds, try flax seed or sunflower seed kernels (out-of-the-shell), and tap at the seeds with a fingertip to get him to peck at them.
Thank you.
Flax seeds dont work yet, he just tosses them aside. But sunflower kernels working good, he loves those and kinda ditched corn and peas aside for the moment. What other seeds can I offer him that are safe?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leave the peas in a bowl for him and add some small seeds. It will take time, but he will eventually start eating seeds by himself. Also leave a large flat dish of water with him. They love to bath and sometimes start drinking at the same time.

He will of course be unreleasable. One can't just raise them and expect them to survive out there without the necessary skills.
Never ever releasable? Even tho I found him after he already left the nest, tho wasnt a good flier. He flies better now, I set him out in a room and he manages to fly high, sth he couldnt do before. Also his coo is changed into more deep voice, he sounds like a grown pigeon now. Im guessing from a fledging he went to a juvenile stage. He lives in a bird cage, is this a better way for him to live than being set outside? How can I prepare him to be ready for the outside?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never ever releasable? Even tho I found him after he already left the nest, tho wasnt a good flier. He flies better now, I set him out in a room and he manages to fly high, sth he couldnt do before. Also his coo is changed into more deep voice, he sounds like a grown pigeon now. Im guessing from a fledging he went to a juvenile stage. He lives in a bird cage, is this a better way for him to live than being set outside? How can I prepare him to be ready for the outside?

Also Im setting the cage on the window, almost daily, so he could learn the surroundings, and could come back to our window, where I can leave him food/water, make him a shelter. Can it help?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Yes that will help. He never really followed his parents around to teach him where to find food and shelter. When you think he is ready, leave the window open for him to go out by himself. He will return for food. Ideally the cage needs to be outside, but at least he is safer indoors.

Below is a list of foods.
Recipe Ingredient Terrestrial plant Font Dish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that will help. He never really followed his parents around to teach him where to find food and shelter. When you think he is ready, leave the window open for him to go out by himself. He will return for food. Ideally the cage needs to be outside, but at least he is safer indoors.

Below is a list of foods. View attachment 103064
Thank you, for the list too.
The window has a bar on it, flat one (not the one with a "belly", so I put the cage out as far as the bar allows). I tied a green piece of a fabric on the bar, he can see it from within while sitting in a cage, it can also be seen from the outside of the window, to help him to recognize our window specifically (its an 8 floor building, we are on a 1st floor, not ground floor).
He sits/stands quietly in a cage, and faces/looks outside most of the time. I tried today to set a cage on a
different window, and he was nervous and was facing the inside of the appartment only.
How will I know when he is ready?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Below is a list of foods. View attachment 103064
To tell you the truth, Im worried sick that if he flies off the window, sth will spook him and he will fly too far and will get lost. Do you know if he knows already how I look like opposed to other people? Can he spot me if I go outside to look for him? He likes to land on my head. Does he know my voice? My smell maybe? How does a pigeon know where is home if I cant be near by when he flies off somewhere? If Ill call him by his name out of the window, will it help him find his way back? We have several trees not far from the window which he can see even now while looking outside - those are constant parameters, cause cars that park near by change everyday - will it help his orientation? So many questions...
He must be able to fly well and eat all kinds of seeds without difficulty. Do you have a balcony? Are there other pigeons around?
He still struggles with seeds ( I gave him the green ones earlier, Mung beans and wheat broken to smaller pieces, and Im giving him flaxseeds for several days already), but he just picks them up with his beak, tastes and then drops them. No balcony at the appartment, only flat windows with bars. There are many pigeons outside, but they dont come to the window Im setting the cage on maybe cause its not too accessable for feral birds (I can attach some sticks to the bars). We have some brown smaller pigeons coming to another window where we leave food for them and also a service window with a family of mom/dad and 2 other fledglings.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Releasing them is always a difficult decision, he can fly away and get lost. If you had him outside in an aviary for a couple of weeks, then he stood a better chance of getting familiar with the area. They recognize faces, so he will recognize your face. Can't you rather put his cage at the window where you feed the brown pigeons? Then he can get used to them and they to him. Watching other pigeons eat might also help improve his eating skills. He will need to compete with adult pigeons for food, so must be able to eat well.

You don't have a smaller cage that you can take him outside in? Just for an hour or so every day?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Releasing them is always a difficult decision, he can fly away and get lost. If you had him outside in an aviary for a couple of weeks, then he stood a better chance of getting familiar with the area. They recognize faces, so he will recognize your face. Can't you rather put his cage at the window where you feed the brown pigeons? Then he can get used to them and they to him. Watching other pigeons eat might also help improve his eating skills. He will need to compete with adult pigeons for food, so must be able to eat well.

You don't have a smaller cage that you can take him outside in? Just for an hour or so every day?
I tried to put him at the brown pigeons window today, he got stressfull, and was anxiously looking into appartment, I think mostly cause it was not familiar. The other pigeons were scared to come close. But I can keep on trying this window over and over untill he feels more comfy and will start looking outside, maybe they will come too. The cage he lives in rn is not large, I thought earlier today of getting him out with the cage, you reasured me it can be a good idea. Im just not sure of the logistics - cause the route goes thru the stairs and a building lobby, if he learns this route, he might try to get back like this and then its a trouble. Maybe cover the cage on a way out and back home, but then how will it serve the point? Even if he learns the surrounding, it wont really lead him home to the correct windows. Dont know.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
He feels safe in the apartment. You will need to do this slowly. Don't put his cage too close to the window where the other pigeons eat. Put it a distance away so he can observe them from a distance. Then when he gets comfortable seeing them, move it closer every time until he is fine being next to them. Can that window open?

When he is comfortable with the other pigeons closeby (and they to him) you can do a release from that window. It's not easy, releasing is the most difficult part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He feels safe in the apartment. You will need to do this slowly. Don't put his cage too close to the window where the other pigeons eat. Put it a distance away so he can observe them from a distance. Then when he gets comfortable seeing them, move it closer every time until he is fine being next to them. Can that window open?

When he is comfortable with the other pigeons closeby (and they to him) you can do a release from that window. It's not easy, releasing is the most difficult part.
Hi. Its a long window (double sized) with a "belly" bar on it. I have some plants in there, the brown pigeons eat on one side, I placed the cage on the other. There is also a large fruit tree in that window (branches flow thru the bars, that close). The brown pigeons came and were busy eating, but he was still very stressful and wasnt looking around, just inside the apartment. Its like he is entimidated by this specific window, maybe even cause of the tree, my guess. On the other hand, the flat-bar window - he goes directly to look around, whatever happens in the appartment doesnt interest him, this is rather amazing. Its also has sun most of day hours (the long window is always in a shade), I shade partually his cage when he is there, but he was relaxed there, even dipped himself into water bowl, lied on his side, relaxing. Like he already chose that flat bar window. I can still continue trying the other window tho, with the pigeons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I've been also thinking today a bit further. Hopefully, we pick the right window and he will return back, do you think he will be asking to come inside and return to his cage? Ive got a strong but flexible basket today, I can attach to the bars from the outside (I will try also to attach kinda shelf for it, or will secure it with sth so it wont fall down), make some ventilation holes and cover it against rain (we dont get much rain in here, only in winter, sometimes they are strong, sometimes last the whole night, but nothing too stormy). I was thinking of building it long before he is released, so he could recognize it as a part of his home-coming-window. Or he will be coming here just to drink and eat and will find some other place for a shelter? I dont think when he finds a mate, she will follow him inside to his cage, so it has to be sth "independant". Will it be different if he will be a "she" eventually? I cant really tell the gender.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
He will want to come back inside your home, that's where he feels safe. He will need to get used to the other pigeons, so keep on trying the other window. If he is stressed by small things like a tree, just imagine how difficult things will be for him once he is out there. Why can't you just keep him?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He will want to come back inside your home, that's where he feels safe. He will need to get used to the other pigeons, so keep on trying the other window. If he is stressed by small things like a tree, just imagine how difficult things will be for him once he is out there. Why can't you just keep him?
I will keep on trying the pigeon window too. I cant imagine, it makes my hurt squeeze, and I cant keep him cause of human factors indoors, lets put it this way :/ So I need to get this baby as ready as I can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts