Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all.

Say, what causes a pigeon to develop suddenly a limp limb ... a wing or leg? Or both wings? Or both legs? Or all limbs??

I feed, water and take care of my flock the best I know and learn how; but, every so often I get a bird that develops one of the above. And, seldom does it ever return back to how it should perform.

Also, they don't get stiff as in a paralysis mode ... just limp.

BTW, I raise Indian Fantails if this matters.

Please advise and help, please.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Do you give them calcium and vit D3 supplement? I'm thinking perhaps it's a lack of calcium issue although if they are outdoor birds it shouldn't be. I wonder if people who fly their birds give calcium supplements during autumn/winter when there isn't much sun.
Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give you some advice.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Paralysis doesn't always (or usually) present as stiff limbs. There is a virus that causes paralysis in pigeons, though it's highly contagious so the rest of your flock would probably be infected pretty quickly.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do you give them calcium and vit D3 supplement? I'm thinking perhaps it's a lack of calcium issue although if they are outdoor birds it shouldn't be. I wonder if people who fly their birds give calcium supplements during autumn/winter when there isn't much sun.
Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give you some advice.
Being outdoor birds doesn't give them calcium. It only gives them the D3 if they are out in an aviary enough or out flying. But if not given the calcium, they will still be calcium deficient. The D3 they would get from the sun is needed to absorb the calcium they get. If they don't get calcium, it won't help them to absorb what they don't get. Many people give their birds oyster shell, but many birds don't take it enough. That's why a Calcium D3 supplement in the water or mixed in with the feed is a way to ensure that they do get what they need.

Your birds could also be deficient in some vitamin they need. Giving vitamins is important as a seed diet is very low in vitamins.

What calcium are you giving them? In what form?
The nice thing about having something like CalciBoost/D3 is that it can also be given individually to one bird. It's a liquid. In the UK it's called CalciVet. There are similar supplements out there that do the same thing.

Are these birds that are affected hens? Or both genders?

When you say limp, what do you mean? Do they just carry the wings lower? Or they can't use them? What about the legs? How are they limp? Are they not able to walk? Not sure exactly what you mean.
If they are sick with something, then they can appear limp because they get weak. That is more often the case. How do they act otherwise? Do they go off their feed? Do they just seem tired and weak? Do they just sit around?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi.

It's liquid calcium with vitamin D3. 1 tablespoon equates to 500mg of calcium and 5mcg of D3.

Limp ... the wings and legs are loose; they simply aren't working anymore. Nothing rigid or stiff. And, just simply not working. BTW, I keep exercising all the limbs; I don't want them to begin any form of stiffness.

What virus was referred to in an earlier note above? And, how do I address this issue?

Both genders.

I have one bird that both wings and legs have simply stopped working. Everything seems fine; but, they're just not working. BTW, this bird seemed quite listless at the time; its strength is gaining ... but, the limbs don't want to work.

They seem to want to eat as normal. Of course, I need to either move them to their feed or feed them directly. But, as far as appetite, they certainly have it.

They don't seem to be off in any other aspect that I can detect.

Antibiotics? Probiotics? Other forms of vitamins? Combinations? I will get whatever I need. Thoughts?

Michael.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How often are you giving them the calcium supplement? And how much are you giving?
Does it have the directions on the bottle?
Only asking, because giving too much will have the same effect as being calcium deficient.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
0.2ml twice per day. There are no instructions on the bottle. Frankly, and sadly, we are taking a bit of a guess.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just read that a pigeon should be given 80 -100mgs daily. Given that there are 500mg in 1 tablespoon (15ml), this converts to about 3mls daily. That seems like an awful lot of liquid calcium.

Where am I going wrong here?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The disease you asked about, I'm sorry, I forgot to answer that. It is MBD, or Metabolic Bone Disease. It can be caused by diet and lack of enough calcium, or an inability to process it and use the calcium they get. Different things go into the animal being able to process it correctly and things must be in the correct balance.
Here are some links on it if you would like to read on it.

As far as the calcium, that is too much. It would have been better to buy a calcium/D3 made for birds, then to try to figure it out. What is it that you are using?
Have you been giving that to them?
Also, D3 is stored in the fat and they can end up with too much.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thaks for the MBD description. Much appreciated.

Re the calcium/D3, it currently is a human bottle; one reason for the very limited current amount. As far as the 80 - 100mg thing (3ml), I'm not giving this amount at all ... just giving the 0.2ml as mentioned earlier.

I have no other gauges at this time.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think you may be better off with the CalciVet.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, it should, and I believe it is the same as te CalciBoost that we get over here, so I can give you the dose for individual birds as well.

If you can find something else online or somewhere that gives the dose for birds, then you can use that. Try to find out before buying it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
For direct dosage via syringe at the back of the mouth the instructions on my calcium D3 is 0.1ml per 100 grams body weight. That's Zolcal D3 but they may all be the same. You can google the ingredients of whatever you have with the ingredients of Zolcal and if they are the same you could give a direct dose twice a week to get more calcium in him to start off with, not all bottles state direct dosages. I use an insulin 1ml syringe, without the needle of course but even though it's a tiny amount I give it in three to four small plunges right behind the back of the tongue, so as to avoid the air hole and aspirating them. For my adults I just give 0.2ml even though they are heavier than 200 grams because that's enough as it's more than they would get in water. Just a couple of direct doses and then add it to the water as per the instructions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.